UW Digital ID (Win) - Verifying a Digital Signature in Outlook
If you receive an email with a digital signature, you can view the signature by following these instructions.
Note: Depending on the e-mail client you use, images will differ. While images in this document reflect Outlook, the procedure is the same for other clients. Click the icon that represents a digital signature, Click on View Signature, and look for the below mentioned certificate chain.
- To verify a UW-Madison digital signature, click on the ribbon icon contained within the message. Although this icon will differ slightly from mail client to mail client, it should look something like this:
- Your mail client will now display the signing certificate of the message which was sent to you. The display vary between mail clients , but it will look similar to this:
- Click on the signer so it's highlighted in blue and then click on the Edit Trust... button
- The menu will show the certificate's owner, issuing institution and validity period.
- Click on Certification Path tab to ensure that the certificate chain is genuine.
- The chain should start with the person’s name. The level above that should say “University of Wisconsin-Madison” and the top level should say “Equifax Secure eBusiness CA-1”.
- If the Certification Path does not follow this order, or if it displays a Certificate Authority other than the one shown above, then the digital signature should not be trusted.