UW Digital ID (Win) - Installing your Digital Certificate
This document explains how to install your digital certificate on a Windows computer.
- After you have downloaded your digital certificate double-click the p12 file.
- The "Certificate Import Wizard" will appear. Click Next.
- On the "File to Import" screen, accept the default location by clicking Next.
- On the next screen, enter your "P12 password" you entered when retrieving your certificate. Note: by placing a check mark in the box labeled "Enable strong private key protection." you will be prompted to provide your password each time the key is used by an application. Next, place a check mark in the box labeled “Mark
this key as exportable.” Then click the Next button.
- On the next screen, make certain that the “Automatically select the certificate store” is
selected and click Next.
Note: Should the import fail you may wish to specify the Certificate Store by clicking the Place all certificates in the following store and specifying the appropriate store; click here for more information.
- Click Finish and then close your browser. If you are using your digital certificate with a USB eToken, continue with the rest of the instructions. If not, click Cancel on the etoken screen and you can configure your email client to use your digital certificate by viewing one of the links at the bottom of this page.
You can now setup one of the following email clients to use your certificate.
- UW Digital ID - Configuring GroupWise (GroupWise is no longer supported by DoIT)
- UW Digital ID - Configuring Outlook 2010
- UW Digital ID (Win) - Configuring Thunderbird