Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 06-05-14

Approved 6-12-14

ASEC Minutes

2:00 – 4:01 p.m. Thursday, June 5, 2014

67 Bascom Hall

Members Present: Marwa Bassiouni; Bruno Browning; Trish Iaccarino; Jim Maynard, Heather McFadden, Chair; Robert Newsom; Kevin Niemi, Vice-Chair; Jeff Shokler

Guests:  Patrick Sims, Sir Williams

The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m.

The minutes of May 29, 2014 were approved.

Liaison Reports

Denny provided a handout on recommendations for the proposed OHR reorganization. The committee noted that the Academic Personnel Office is not a separate unit in the proposed reorg, but is instead absorbed into other units. ASEC would like to invite Bob Lavigna to discuss the recommended plan further.

General Reports

·     Chair – Heather McFadden

o   Professional Development Topics for future meetings include:

§  ASPP 101

§  Darrell on the budget

§  Wisc. Admin Code, Ch. 36

§  HR Design

§  State Government and Higher Education

o   UC Meeting Debriefing

§  Ian Robertson will talk about Professor of Practice title next week

§  New members in leadership transition of UC have started

·         Civility Committee – Heather M. will be on the sub-committee

·         Will continue their System rep for continuity

·     Secretary of the Academic Staff – Jake Smith (on behalf of Heather Daniels)

o   Website progress and go-live week

§  Website will go live the week of June 9; any feedback should be sent to Heather D. or Jake

§  Closing reception for Linda Endlich’s art in our office will be held on June 25 from 1:30 – 3:00

§  Had a productive meeting regarding PD grant process for pulling data; received feedback that the process went better this year and should be even better for the next cycle

Guest: Patrick Sims

Patrick Sims reported that he met with the faculty member that offered the amendment, which has now been further amended and will come before the faculty senate in October. The “pros and cons” language has been stricken and the phrase, “in the spirit of intellectual diversity,” was added, which reconciled the spirit of the original amendment. Sims is confident in the longevity of this document.

The next steps for implementation are an open question at this point, with several parties to be involved in the planning and execution. Sims plans to form an implementation committee to be charged by himself or the chancellor. Sims has spoken with CSEC, will talk with FPM and also wants to discuss the role ASEC will play, especially around cultural capacity.

The Diversity Forum was mentioned as a prime example of academic staff participation in diversity issues. The EIDI (Engagement, Inclusion and Diversity Initiative) was also brought up as a key example, particularly in terms of clear metrics and implications for output with respect to activity-based budgeting.

ASEC raised the topics of publicizing successes and affecting senior recruiting decisions to ensure diversity in the search process as well as retention. Sims agreed that these are key issues that will continue to be addressed. ASEC also suggested use of the WISELI training for all searches as opposed to strictly higher level searches.

Sims wants a representative from ASEC, in addition to CSEC and the Faculty Senate, to think strategically both about this issue as well as its implementation.


·     Provost Briefing Document

o   Suggestion to add bullets under current issues regarding improving practices around both searches and hiring, as well as work on retaining diverse campus community

o   Also think about infusing issues around diversity in the HR recommendations

·     Joint committee with UC to explore evaluation of faculty supervision

o   2 members from UC

o   2 members from ASEC or 1 ASA and 1 ASEC

o   Will come back next week and discuss further (Bruno to check with former district members)

·     Joint committee on performance management

o   Denny volunteered for this committee

o   Send out a call to the assembly for someone with performance management responsibility/experience

·     Next ASEC Meeting, June 12, 2014

-        KB use for meeting materials

-        Shared governance events

-        Report on Jane Wellman’s presentation

-        Bring back info on sub-committees

Convened in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss the Vice Provost of Faculty and Staff public presentations and to elect ASEC Chair/Vice-Chair (Moved. Seconded. Approved)

Heather McFadden was re-elected as Chair, and Kevin Niemi was re-elected as Vice-Chair.

Reconvened in Open Session (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)

Meeting adjourned at 3:57 p.m. 

Minutes submitted by Jake Smith, Deputy Secretary of the Academic Staff 

Keywords:ASEC Minutes   Doc ID:41239
Owner:Jake S.Group:Office of the Secretary/ Academic Staff
Created:2014-06-20 10:41 CDTUpdated:2014-07-15 15:39 CDT
Sites:Office of the Secretary/ Academic Staff
Feedback:  0   0