Safari 8.0+ (Mac) - Restoring the Default Settings
This document explains how to restore the default settings and preferences in Safari. If you are only looking to clear the cache and cookies, please see Safari 8.0 - 10.0 (Mac) - Clearing Cache and Cookies
- With Finder open, select Go from the top menu bar. With the Go menu open, hold down the Option key and Library will become visible as an option. Select Library.
- In the Library folder, find the sub-folder titled Safari and delete it.
- Open the Caches folder within the Library folder and delete the com.apple.Safari folder.
- Return to Library and open the Metadata folder. Delete the Safari folder.
- Return to Library and open the Preferences folder. Delete com.apple.Safari.Extensions.plist and com.apple.Safari.plist .
- Return to to the Library folder. Open the Cookies folder and delete com.apple.safari.plist .
Safari will now have been restored to its default settings.