Learn@UW – Learn@UW to SIS eGrade Submission FAQ and Troubleshooting
The Learn@UW eGrade process allows instructors to export student Final Grades from their Learn@UW course gradebook and import these grades into their Student Information System (SIS). The UW System campuses that have the ability to use this process are:
Reference Learn@UW - Submitting Electronic Grades from Learn@UW to your Student Information System (SIS) for instructions on how to set up a Learn@UW/D2L gradebook for exporting Final Grades from a Learn@UW/D2L course and importing them into the campus Student Information System (SIS).
Below are a list of frequently asked questions and troubleshooting techniques for the Learn@UW grade export process, and the SIS import process.
Learn@UW eGrade Export Process
- ISSUE: The instructor sees options on data and grade items to export but no SIS option. Instead, the instructor only sees button options to Export to CSV and to Export to Excel.
SOLUTION: Make sure the instructor is using the Export to SIS button and not the Export button in gradebook. The Export function will not export to the SIS and only give the instructor a CSV or XLS file export.
- ISSUE: The instructor doesn't see an Export to SIS button under the Enter Grades screen in the gradebook. The instructor only sees an Import button and an Export button.
- Make sure the Final Adjusted Grade column in the gradebook is populated and has letter grades.
- Make sure the course is mapped. The instructor would need to
contact the local Learn@UW/D2L Site Administrator to verify that the
course is mapped.
- ISSUE: After clicking on the Export to SIS button to send grades to the SIS, the instructor gets a "Not Authorized" message.
SOLUTION: The instructor's role in the course requires certain permissions. The instructor should contact the local Learn@UW/D2L Site Administrator. The site Administrator will need to check that the instructor's role has the following permissions at the course level under Manage Roles and Security:
- In the Grades section, Import and export grades, and Export grades only, are selected.
- In the SIS Holding Tank section, Export from gradebook to SIS is selected.
- ISSUE: Instead of a success message after clicking the Export to SIS button in the gradebook to send grades to the SIS, the instructor receives a 500 error.
SOLUTION: This error can occur when the servers are experiencing high usage. Try again after waiting a short time.
- ISSUE: The instructor received a Success message after clicking on the Export to SIS button, but does not know what to do next.
SOLUTION: The instructor should wait several minutes, then log into the campus SIS to import the grades and approve them.
Troubleshooting Learn@UW/D2L eGrade SIS Import Process
- ISSUE: After exporting grades to the campus SIS from the Learn@UW/D2L gradebook, and waiting several minutes, the instructor does not see an Import button in the campus SIS.
- ISSUE: The instructor clicks on the Import Learn@UW/D2L button in the campus SIS, but no grades are imported.
SOLUTION for the above two issues:
- Confirm that the students have letter grades in the Final Grade column in the Learn@UW/D2L gradebook. If not, enter the letter grades or apply a grade scheme, re-do the Export to SIS from Learn@UW/D2L, wait several minutes, and re-try the SIS import.
- Confirm that the instructor clicked on the Export grades button in the D2L gradebook, and received a Success message. If the instructor did not, have the instructor try again.
- Did the instructor wait about 15 minutes after Exporting before trying to import the grades into their SIS? If the instructor did and the grades still do not appear, have the instructor Export from Learn@UW/D2L one more time, wait several minutes, and then try the SIS import again.
- Did the instructor click on the import grades button in the campus SIS? If the instructor did not, remind the instructor to do so.
- Is the course mapped? The instructor should contact the local campus Learn@UW/D2L site Administrator to confirm that the course is mapped. If it is not, the Site Administrator should map the course, run MovetoD2L and have the instructor try exporting and importing again. Another option is for the instructor to manually enter grades using the SIS self-service function.
- If none of the above solves the problem, the instructor should contact the local Learn@UW/D2L Site Administrator. This person should work with the campus Peoplesoft Technologist for further troubleshooting.
- ISSUE: The grade files imported, but some students are missing grades.
- Check that all students have letter grades in the Learn@UW/D2L gradebook.
- Re-export the grades from Learn@UW/D2L. Make sure that the instructor clicks on the Export to SIS button once and waits for a response. Wait several minutes, then re-import in the SIS. If grades are still missing, enter the missing grades directly into the campus SIS, then contact the local campus Site Administrator to report the problem.