Office 365 (Outlook 2016 for Mac) - Recreate Snapshot Calendar Events
When an account is migrated/transitioned to Office 365, a unique calendar snapshot (named as the same as the email address of the transitioned account) is created in the Office 365 account which will contain a snapshot of all the events between January 1, 2006 and January 1, 2020.
Important: In the example below, Bucky Badger has one email account (firstname.lastname@example.org) which he is consolidating into one Office 365 account. Both contain calendar data. The following image is what his calendar screen will look like after the transition to Office 365 when viewed via Outlook.
As you can see, there are two calendars in his Office 365 account:
- This is the primary calendar within the account. It will be empty.
- email@example.com - calendar
- This is the calendar associated with firstname.lastname@example.org account and will contain calendar events that were in this account.
Important: Until events are placed within your primary calendar, Calendar, other Office 365, and Scheduling Assistant users will see you as free.
There are two types of events:
- Events that do not have any attendees (appointments).
- Events that contain attendees (meetings).
Note: As you can see, the major difference between these two events is the inclusion of attendees (and organizer) within the body of the event.
How to place an event from your secondary calendar into your primary calendar - CalendarNote: It is recommended that you only recreate events that are occurring in the future. You can leave the events in the past as they are now for historical information.
- Open Outlook 2016 for Mac.
- Go to "Calendar".
- Click on your secondary calendar. All the events within this calendar will be shown in your view.
- Click and drag an event you want to move to the primary calendar named "Calendar".
- Click on your primary calendar. The event you moved should appear on the same day and time that you moved it from the secondary calendar.
- Double click the event from your primary calendar to open it.
- If the event was a meeting and you were the organizer (this information would be located in body of the event), then add all the attendees by clicking the 'Invite Attendees' button near the top of the window:
Important: If an attendee is a resource calendar (such as a conference room), confirm that the resource has been created and you have the necessary permissions to invite it before attempting to add to the meeting invitation.
If you were not the organizer, then skip adding attendees.
- If the event is part of a recurring set, then use the 'Recurrence' button:
to recreate the recurrence pattern.
- Make sure the 'Show As:' and 'Reminder:' values are set to the desired options.
- Make any other changes/updates and click Save&Close button:
To verify the event has been moved to your primary calendar, Calendar, only have Calendar selected (a check mark next to it) from the list of calendars in your view.
Repeat this process for the next event in you secondary calendar. Important: future events that were part of a recurring series do not need to be recreated, since you already recreated the series from a previous instance. The only thing you may need to verify, is if the event was a meeting and you were the organizer of the event, make sure the attendee list is up-to-date for that specific event within the recurring series.
Move multiple events
You can use list view to move multiple items at one time.
- Click on your secondary calendar.
- Go to "View" menu and select List.
This will show all of your calendar items (in whatever view, Month/week/day, you have currently selected.
- Select several items and drag them to your primary calendar. Note: use the Shift or Command keys to select multiple events/items.
- When moving multiple items make sure to not move recurring items that you will be recreating the recurrence of. This will help you avoid duplicate calendar entries
- Snapshot will include events that were cancelled. Previously hidden events could be visible In outlook -- you can go to list view and filter for cancelled and delete items as needed.