Apple mail evaluates each incoming message to assess whether it might be spam, based on several factors. If it is deemed as junk mail or spam, it will be moved to your Junk mailbox.
This document explains about junk email and phishing using Apple Mail. These instructions are for Mac OS 10.9, but are likely to be similar for Mac OS 10.5-8.
To access Junk E-Mail Filter Options:
- Go to Mail, then Preferences.
- Go to the Junk Mail tab.
- Adjust the settings as appropriate.
- To customize it further, check Perform Custom Actions and click Advanced.
- Once finished, click OK.
- A folder you have marked as junk can be marked as Not Junk in the toolbar as well as above the message.
- You may also create a rule that filters (moves or deletes) mail.
- [Link for document 42923 is unavailable at this time.]
- If a legitimate message appears in your Junk mailbox, drag the message out of the mailbox to remove its Junk status.