Office 365 (Apple Mail) - Set a vacation message (out of office)
This document contains instructions on using a non-Microsoft email client, such as Apple Mail or Thunderbird. Microsoft does not recommend these clients for use with Office 365, and there are often significant limitations in client functionality as a result. Because of this, the DoIT Help Desk is only able to offer best effort support for these clients, and certain issues may require the use of a Microsoft client in order to be resolved. For more information on Office 365 client support, please see: Office 365 - Which clients/protocols will be supported?.
Best Effort Support Only
This document explains how to set a vacation message using Apple Mail. These instructions are for Mac OS 10.9, but are likely to be similar for Mac OS 10.5-8.
Note: The account you are configuring must be an Office 365 account and configured via Exchange.
- Start Mail.
- Right-click on any folder and select "Get Account Info." The account information screen will appear.
- Click the "Out of Office" tab and enter the desired preferences:
- Send Out of Office replies: place a check mark in this box and select "While scheduled" from the select box.
- Starting change to the desired start date/time - IMPORTANT: this setting cannot be a future date. If you want to set this vacation message to start sometime in the future, use Outlook Web App.
- Ending change to the desired end date/time
- Internal Reply: type the response that you want to send to anyone within UW-Madison Office 365 user base
- External Reply: type the response that you want to send to anyone outside UW-Madison Office 365 user base.
- Close the window. Your account will now send automatic replies.