Web Hosting - Maintenance Mode for Migrations
The nature of some websites requires them to be put into maintenance mode when migrating the production DNS to a new server (see Web Hosting - Site Migrations to New Servers). This is often the case with sites that have inline MySQL databases that are actively updated by website visitors.
Maintenance Mode Assistance
DoIT Web Hosting can assist with the migration process:
- We'll work with you to find the best time to move the DNS, and we'll instruct the hostmasters to adjust the TTL (time to live), which will aid DNS propagation.
- Right before the move takes place, we'll put the current site into maintenance mode. During this period, all requests for the site will be redirected to an informational page indicating that the service is temporarily unavailable.
- During downtime, we will copy any MySQL databases and other files to the new website location, which will be in a suspended or stopped state.
- Once the copy is completed, we'll start up the new site.
- The new site will be active when the DNS has propagated (roughly 5 minutes).
Please contact email@example.com with questions.