Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: What is the process for studies already approved by WIRB and ongoing at UW as of 2/17/18? A: These studies are already “grandfathered in” to the previously existing UW process for WIRB studies. Please see the Legacy WIRB Studies page for specific guidance on changes in research, reportable events, continuing reviews, and HIPAA Authorization.
- Q: How should my team decide which independent IRB to use? A: Check with the sponsor of the research to see if there is an independent IRB that already has approved the overall protocol. If so, it may be possible to submit to that independent IRB. If the protocol has not yet been approved by an independent IRB, check with your sponsor about which independent IRB to use because independent IRBs arrange their own fee schedule for initial reviews, amendments, etc.
- Q: How does billing work for using an independent IRB? A: UW-Madison agreements with Chesapeake, Quorum, Schulman, and WIRB dictate that IRB fees will be billed directly to the study sponsor. For any further questions concerning invoicing or fees, contact: Faye Lux, BS Fee/Funding Point Person 608-263-4922 email@example.com.
- Q: What UW institutionally required language must be added to the sponsor consent template? A: Please see the initial review page for the UW local context checklist and independent IRB consent language template.
- Q: Whom do I contact with my question? A: Please see the contact information page for guidance on points of contact.