BN - WED - UW_BN_INCORRECT_BENEFIT_SERVICE_DATE
The PeopleSoft system uses the Benefit Service Date to determine when a University Staff employee is eligible for the employer share towards health insurance premiums. This date is also used to determine when an FA/AS/LI employee is eligible for the employer share towards Income Continuation Insurance. Employees with prior State and/or Local service may be able to enroll immediately upon hire, or with a reduced waiting period before coverage goes into effect based on the amount of prior service they have. This error report lists those employees who have a Benefit Service Date equal to their Date of Hire or Rehire but have prior WRS service indicated on the UW Benefits Tab on JOB indicating that prior service exists and must be accounted for on the Benefit Service Date so waiting periods will be appropriately waived.
- Two queries will appear on the WED: one containing errors that are under 60 days old, and one containing errors that are over 60 days old.
- New hires will have the Benefit Service Date default to their Date of Hire and the prior state and local service fields will be blank. The Benefit Service Date should be changed at the point when they become WRS eligible to equal their WRS Start Date.
- For a new employee with prior WRS service under any state agency, who had a break in WRS service but did not take a separation benefit, the Benefit Service Date will be a date up to 12 months prior to their UW Hire Date.
- Because the maximum waiting period for any state benefit is 12 months, the prior service fields on Job will only accept a number from zero to 12. If service is greater than 12 months - "12" should be entered in the prior state or local service field(s). The Benefit Service Date must be rolled back up to 12 months from the UW Start Date.
- Employees who transfer from a Grad or Limited Benefit Program to a WRS eligible Benefit Program should have their Benefit Service Date changed to equal the date they become WRS eligible and their prior WRS state and local service fields should be zeros.
- When an employee transfers from another state agency with no break in service, the Benefit Service Date must reflect the amount of prior WRS State and/or Local service to ensure that benefits begin and employer contributions begin at the appropriate time. One or both of the WRS prior service field(s) for these employees will have a value greater than zero.
- Users will need to review Job Data and refer to the ETF One Net system to determine the appropriate Benefit Service Date to enter. For more information on how to look up prior service in the ETF One Net system, refer to KB document: BN - Looking up Prior WRS Service in ETFOne .
1. Click on the UW_BN_INCORRECT_BEN_SERVICE_DATE query hyperlink.
- It is recommended that you work all errors under 60 days to ensure new employees will have premiums taken correctly as soon as possible on their next payroll check. When working the over 60 day query, please ensure you are verifying that the employee has not overpaid for their insurance premiums when hired, rehired, or transferred into the UW system.
2. To filter the results of the Error Query list further, options appear below.
Module = Cast net by specific functional group queries
Priority = All queries by default are sorted High, Medium, Low
Business Unit = filter by campus
Dept ID = filter by specific Dept ID (must enter full alpha + six digit code)
DeptID (like) = filter by a partial Dept ID to capture larger net at the division level or multiple departments.
3. Click the 'Check to Claim' check box, your name will appear in the Claimed by Section with the Date and Time noted.
4. Click Link to Correct hyperlink next to the employee's name and you will be directed to the UW Benefits Tab on JOB
5. Add a row to Job Data (see KB: BN - Updating UW Benefits Tab on Job Data ). Click on the UW Benefits Tab and enter the correct date in the Benefit Service Date field and click the Save button. This will update the Benefit Service Date on all historical rows for that particular Employee Record (Empl_Rcd). You must complete the same steps on each active Employee Record for the error to be resolved.
6. Click Save. You will receive a soft warning (shown below) indicating that the Benefit Service Date does not equal the Date of Hire. Click the OK button to continue.
7. Close the window to take you back to the main WED page or you can click the Home link to return to the WED.
8. Click the 'Completed' check box. Your name will appear in the Completed by Section with the Date and Time noted.
9. Click Return to Dashboard link (available on every page) to return to the main WED page
10. Employee will drop off the WED the following business day.
- RR - WED - Workflow Exception Dashboard
- BN - Looking up Prior WRS Service in ETFOne
- BN - Updating UW Benefits Tab on Job Data