Voice/Telephone Services (Centrex) - How to place an order
How to place an order for landline services.
To add, change or disconnect telephone services send an email. For authorization purposes, email requests will only be accepted from previously approved departmental staff whose names are on file with DoIT Voice Services. Use the Authorized User Look-up Tool to find the authorized user in your area. If you are not authorized to place orders, please fill out a registration form. For further questions, contact DoIT Voice Services. If you are looking to place an order for cellular service, please use our Cellular Order Form. If you want to order for Cisco VoIP service, see Cisco VoIP New/Change/Remove Line Request
Please allow two to three weeks lead time when placing any telephone order. Please move any furniture blocking the affected jack(s) so that our technicians can access the jack(s). For large orders, contact DoIT Voice Services to discuss timing and due dates (see Large orders below).
The authorized person must provide the following information in the email:
- Contact name and telephone number - Use the name of a person who will be able to answer questions about this request.
- Location information - building name, room number, jack number and telephone number (if existing number). Jack numbers should be located on the voice/data outlet.
- Restriction information for new lines. Pick one of the following options:
- Unrestricted – allows for long distance and international calls
- Local area – restricted to Madison area and campus only Centrex calls
- Campus – restricted to campus only Centrex calls
- Funding information - please include Fund, Project ID (if used), Department ID/UDDS and Program Code.
Examples of requests:
- Install one new unrestricted line in Room B119 Computer Science, jack number B150E-T025. Use funding 144-PRJ57HY-A069163-1
- Move 262-1234 from Room B119 Computer Science, jack number B150E-T026 to Room B116, jack number B150E-TO37.
- Add extension of 262-1234 in Room B119 Computer Science, jack number B150E-T026 to Room B116, jack number B150E-T025.
- Move extension of 262-1234 from Room B119 Computer Science, jack number B150E-T026 to Room 120, jack number B150E-T043.
- Remove extension of 262-1234 Room B119 Computer Science, jack number B150E-T043.
- Disconnect 262-1234 from B116 Computer Science, jack number B150E-T043.
If your order is for a large number of lines, please attach this Excel form: Move-Spreadsheet.xls
Installation of voice/data jacks
Installation of voice/data jacks in rewired buildings is done primarily by the Physical Plant Electric Shop. If a new jack is required, it should be installed before ordering telephone service. Contact Physical Plant at 263-3333.