EPD - Technologies - Technical Requirements
Technology Requirements for EPD Online Courses and Programs
Having the right tools for any job makes the difference. This is also true for being a successful online learner. Make sure to read and become familiar with the minimum technical requirements listed.
Review the requirements below carefully; computer hardware, software, and an internet connection are the primary means of participating in courses and thus are significant contributor to academic success.
At a minimum, all students enrolled in online courses in the Department of Engineering Professional Development (EPD) should adhere to the following network and technology requirements in order to successfully engage in their online courses and activities:
- Access to a reliable broadband/high-speed internet connection
- Access to a relatively modern Mac or Windows PC computer system
- Ability to update and install software and plug-ins on the computer system
Minimum Technology Requirements:
The information below provides minimum guidelines for the online student's personal computing environment.
- Internet Connection
- Access to a reliable broadband connection (cable, DSL or better)
- MS Office or compatible office suite (recent version)
- Antivirus software and spyware
- Other software may be required by certain courses and will be communicated by instructors each semester
- Note that UW-Madison students have access to purchasing software at significant discounts and in some cases free downloadable versions of Microsoft software. See the DoIT website for more information.
- Web Browsers
- Preferred: Firefox or Safari. Partially supported: Microsoft Internet Explorer and Chrome. It is strongly recommended that students have at least two web browsers installed on your computing device.
- Plug-ins (free downloads)
- Most recent versions of: QuickTime Player, Windows Media, Adobe Reader, Flash Player, and Java
- Windows PC Specifications
- 1 GHz processor, Windows 7 or higher, 2GB RAM, video card and computer monitor, 1024x768 resolution, sound card and speakers
- Mac Specifications
- Intel 1 GHz processor, Mac OS 10.8 or higher, 2GB RAM, video card and computer monitor, 1024X768 resolution, sound card and speakers
- Live Web Conferencing
- Most of the EPD online courses will require regular live web conferencing sessions. To improve audio quality, we strongly recommend the use of a USB headset, or earbuds with a microphone when participating in live web conferences. Look for a headset that has sufficient noise canceling and a mute option.