EPD - eHelp - Technologies - Software and Plugins
This page provides information on the various software and plug-ins that are available to to our UW-Madison students. Any questions concerning specific software should be directed to the individual course instructor.
Free and Academic-priced Software Available to UW-Madison Students and Faculty.
- The Campus Software Library provides links to free, downloadable software.
- See the DoIT Tech Online Store for additional academic-priced software.
- Also the Wisconsin Integrated Software Catalog (WISC) provides links to academic-priced software.
Download Free Software from Microsoft DreamSpark/MSDN Academic Alliance
Through UW-Madison EPD and CAE, students in the College of Engineering have access to a catalog of free Microsoft software downloads via the Microsoft DreamSpark (formerly MSDN Academic Alliance) website. In order to login to the Microsoft DreamSpark website, Engineering students need to get free CAE computing account. More information on getting a CAE account is below.
Steps to Access Microsoft DreamSpark Downloadable Software Catalog:
- Obtain a free CAE Computing Account.
- Log into http://my.cae.wisc.edu with the CAE computing account and click on the "MSDN Academic Alliance" link located in the lower left corner of the page.
- The Microsoft DreamSpark/MSDN Academic Alliance website will automatically open and sign into the site with the CAE computing account.
- Download any of the software available in the catalog, such as the newest versions of MS project, and MS Windows Operating System.
Use Tethered Software
Some software is available as a tethered license through CAE and will need a CAE account. Some CAE-owned software can be locally installed and run on a personal computer while the computer is connected to WiscVPN via a tethered software license. A list of tethered packages along with detailed directions for installing, configuring, and using tethered software can be found via CAE Software. Software is either accessed through the Software VPN or the CAE XennApp.
Connect to CAE UNIX Workstation
In order to access a CAE UNIX workstation, use some form of an ssh client. For more information on UNIX, see: https://kb.wisc.edu/cae/.
- Note: It is necessary to be connected via WiscVPN to access these resources.
Computer Aided Engineering (CAE) is a computing services department within the College of Engineering at UW-Madison. They provide access to certain software and computing resources for students in the College of Engineering. Many of their services are only directly useful for on-campus students (i.e. computer lab facilities), however, they offer access to tethered software, as well as access to the MSDN Alliance Software catalog.
To access CAE resources, students will need to get a CAE computing account in order to access their resources and software. In order to signup for the CAE account, students will need to enter their UW Campus ID Number and their birthday. The UW Campus ID Number is the same 10-digit ID number that is used to get the UW NetID. Information on getting a CAE account is available at the following URL: http://www.cae.wisc.edu/accounts/.