EPD - Technologies - Software for EPD Online Students
This page provides information on the various software and plug-ins that are available to to our UW-Madison students. Any questions concerning specific software should be directed to the individual course instructor.
Free and Academic-priced Software Available to UW-Madison Students and Faculty.
- The Campus Software Library provides links to free, downloadable software.
- See the DoIT Tech Online Store for additional academic-priced software.
- Also the Wisconsin Integrated Software Catalog (WISC) provides links to academic-priced software.
Download Free Software from Microsoft Imagine Portal
Through UW-Madison EPD and CAE, students in the College of Engineering have access to a catalog of free Microsoft software downloads via the Microsoft Imagine (formerly Microsoft Dreamspark) website. In order to login to the Microsoft Imagine portal, Engineering students need to get free CAE computing account. More information on getting a CAE account is below.
- For general information about Microsoft Imagine: https://imagine.microsoft.com/en-us/about
- View the College of Engineering/CAE Microsoft Imagine Portal (see steps for creating a CAE account)
Steps to Access Microsoft Imagine Downloadable Software Catalog:
- Obtain a free CAE Computing Account.
- Log into http://my.cae.wisc.edu with the CAE computing account and click on the "Microsoft Imagine" link located in the lower left corner of the page.
- The Microsoft Imagine website portal will automatically open and sign into the site with the CAE computing account for access to software downloads.
- Download any of the software available in the catalog, such as the newest full versions of MS project, and MS Windows Operating System, .NET, Visio, etc..
Engineering/CAE Software (via VPN or Remote Access)
Some software is available to Engineering students through CAE via VPN or remote access. Students will need a CAE account. Some CAE-owned software can be locally installed and run on a personal computer while the computer is connected to WiscVPN via a tethered software license. A list of software packages along with detailed instructions for access and configuration can be found on the CAE Software page. CAE Software is either accessed through the Software VPN or the CAE XennApp.
Connect to CAE UNIX Workstation
In order to access a CAE UNIX workstation remotely, use some form of an ssh client. For more information on UNIX, see: https://kb.wisc.edu/cae/.
- Note: It is necessary to be connected via VPN to access these resources.
Computer Aided Engineering (CAE) is a computing services department within the College of Engineering at UW-Madison. They provide access to certain software and computing resources for students in the College of Engineering. Many of their services are only directly useful for on-campus students (i.e. computer lab facilities), however, they offer a host of services for our online students as well.
To access CAE resources, engineering students will need to get a CAE computing account in order to access their resources and software. In order to signup for a CAE account, students will need to enter their UW Campus ID Number and their birthday. The UW Campus ID Number is the same 10-digit ID number that is used to get the UW NetID. Information on getting a CAE account is available at the following URL: http://www.cae.wisc.edu/accounts/.