How to Watch TV at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
These free ways to watch TV work ONLY on University of Wisconsin-Madison campus networks.
On your TV setUse the cable TV network at UW Housing, the Memorial Union and Union South, the Fluno Center and the Lowell Center, and some other campus buildings. See the cable TV channel listing.
On your smartphone
- Charter U app1 (from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store)
- Watch ESPN app3 (from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store)
- Big Ten Network BTN2Go app2 (from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store)
- in a web browser, go to m.datn.wisc.edu
On your computer
- Charter U whitelists the IP address ranges of University of Wisconsin – Madison and will not work off-campus.
- The Big Ten Network whitelists the IP address ranges of University of Wisconsin – Madison, so a cable provider login is not required when using BTN2GO on UW-Madison campus networks.
- For WatchESPN, ESPN usually requires a cable subscriber to log in with their cable TV company credentials. There is an exception for educational institutions. The app or web site does a reverse lookup of the IP address which you are using. If that reverse lookup resolves in a domain name that ends in .edu, then the viewer can watch ESPN3 content without needing to log in with a cable company’s credentials. Unfortunately that does not apply for content from ESPN1, ESPN2, ESPNU and so on. Depending on the situation, this could result in users on UW-Madison campus networks not being authorized. This could happen if an IP address resolves in other top-level domains like .org or .com, as used in discovery.org, uwbadgers.com or uwalumni.com