EPD - Strategies for Online Learning Success
Prior to starting a course
Online learning presents unique challenges, requiring more independence and self-discipline than face to face courses. Try these strategies to help you find success in your online course.
- Communicate and collaborate with your family and employer to gain support.
- Create a comfortable workspace that helps you focus.
- Familiarize yourself with technology requirements, test tools, and make any needed updates. Contact Tech Support for help.
- Explore the online learning environment.
At the beginning of the course
- Understand the requirements. Thoroughly read the syllabus to know what is expected.
- Put all major due dates and milestones on your calendar.
- Set goals and post them somewhere visible in your workspace.
- Create and commit to a consistent study schedule.
Throughout the Course
In Discussion Forums
- Connect with your instructor and classmates. Try to make a meaningful connection with at least one other classmate.
- Actively participate. Your input and participation are the key to your success.
- Ask questions. Use the preffered lines of communication.
- Start assignments early, break them into smaller tasks, and allow plenty of time for completion.
- Be timely. Joining the conversation as its wrapping up limits your engagement.
- Read what others have posted before making your contributions.
- Think through ideas before responding. Focus on quality.
- Write consicely. Aim for 1-2 paragraphs at most.
- Look for opportunities to make connections, ask probing questions, and challenge assumptions.
- Welcome diverse opinions and be willing to change your mind after hearing others' thoughts.
- Share news articles and other real-world examples that show application of your learning.
- Use quotes and textual evidence from course readings to support your ideas.
- Check back and respond to replies on your posts to keep the conversation flowing.
- Use the subscription and/or notification features to help manage your time and attention.
These strategies have been synthesized from the following resources: