L&S Committee on Academic Staff Issues (CASI) Awards & Grants
This document contains information and materials related to awards for academic staff members, and links to previous recipients.
Awards for L&S Staff
There are both college and campus-wide awards available to academic staff.
L&S Academic Staff Awards
See our for Awards listing previous year winners. For more information about the Academic Staff Awards (Early Career, Mid-Career and the Judith Craig Distinguished Service Award) please contact the L&S Committee on Academic Staff Issues (CASI) Professional Development and Recognition Committee (PDRC) . Nominees must have been members of the UW-Madison academic staff, limited appointee with an academic staff backup appointment, limited appointee with no backup appointment, or a limited appointee with University Staff backup appointment.
- Early Career Award: Two awards are made in this category, which honors people who have 0-7 years as members of the L&S academic staff. Recipients must demonstrate outstanding performance in their positions, must demonstrate substantial promise of future contributions; and exhibit a high degree of professionalism. The awards carry a $2,000 cash award.
- Mid-Career Award: Members of the L&S academic staff with 8 or more years of service are eligible for this award, which carries a $3,000 cash award. Three awards are granted to individuals who demonstrate outstanding performance in their positions, leadership and service beyond their positions, and substantial professional competency and promise of continuing contributions.
- Judith Craig Distinguished Service Award: Each year, one person with 15 or more years as a member of the L&S academic staff is eligible for this honor, which is accompanied by a $5,000 cash award. The recipient's record must demonstrate outstanding service to the College and University throughout his/her career.
The nomination deadline was March 3, 2023. The next call for nominations will be made in January 2024.
2022-23 Academic Staff Award Recipients:
- Laura Schmidli, L&S Instructional Design Collaborative, Instructional Technology & Engagement Specialist
- Maria Hartwig, Department of Psychology, Academic Advising Manager
- Seth McGee, BioCore, teaching, Learning, and Technology Specialist II
- Lisa Klein Vogel, Institute for Research on Poverty, Scientist II
- Brian Esselman, Department of Chemistry, Organic Chemistry Lab, Distinguished Associate Director
Christopher Lee, L&S Student Academic Affairs, Assistant Dean and Director
Campus Academic Professional Development Awards and Campus Academic Staff Excellence Awards
For information about campus awards, please visit the Academic Staff Awards page.Professional Development grants are also available to academic staff.
- L&S Committee on Academic Staff Issues (CASI)
- L&S Committee on Academic Staff Issues (CASI) Bylaws
- L&S Committee on Academic Staff Issues (CASI) Professional Development and Recognition Committee (PDRC)
- L&S Committee on Academic Staff Issues (CASI) Reports
- L&S Committee on Academic Staff Issues (CASI) Agendas and Minutes