UW Digital ID (Mac OS X) - Certificate Was Signed By An Untrusted Issuer
Mac OS X users may experience the following certification error when attempting to digitally sign emails:
⨂ This certificate was signed by an untrusted issuer
While the root cause of this problem is unknown, this document provides a workaround that allows your existing certificates to work as intended.
- Open Keychain Access: From a Finder window, navigate to Applications ⇒ Utilities and double-click Keychain Access.
- By default, you will be taken to My Certificates under the Category header, where you should see the following:
- Click All Items under the Category header, then click inside the search bar and type "entrust".
- In the new list of certificates, you should see Entrust Managed Services Commercial Public Root CA. This is the culprit.
- Right-click (CTRL + click) on Entrust Managed Services Commercial Public Root CA and select Delete.
- When prompted to confirm deletion, click Delete again.
- Return to My Certificates (under the Category header).
- Select the certificate previously in error. Under the certificate details, you should now see: ✓ This certificate is valid.
IMPORTANT: All Items must be selected for the search to return the desired results.
Note: If you are experiencing problems with this workaround, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.