Office 365 (Outlook 2016 for Mac) - Check availability using the Scheduling Assistant
|NOTE: This document applies to Outlook 2016 for Mac, released in late 2015. For information about how to complete this task using the previous version of Outlook available for Mac, see: Office 365 (Outlook 2011) - Check Availability using the Scheduling Assistant|
Creating a New Meeting Request
- In Outlook, at the bottom left of the screen, click Calendar.
- From the Home tab, at the top left of the screen, click Meeting to create a new meeting.
- A new window will appear. Select Scheduling from the Meeting Tab.
- There are multiple ways to add attendees to your meeting requests:
- You may add as many peoples' names as you wish. Note that every time you add a person's name, you will be able to see when they are free and when they are busy.
- Optional: To classify attendees, click the arrow to the left of the Attendee's name, and select the desired classification. Attendee classifications are taken into account by the Suggested Times.
- Optional: Some rooms on campus are available for reservation, and therefore have their own calendars. To reserve one of these rooms, click Add Rooms near the bottom left of the screen and choose the desired room. A meeting request will be sent to the calendar of this room
- Looking at all Attendees' schedules you can choose a time that works best.
- Click Appointment in the Meeting tab at the top of the screen. This will return you to the Appointment screen. You will see the details for the date and time you selected. Add a subject and location in the appropriate text boxes. If desired, enter text to appear in the body of the message.
- Click Send
The Scheduling Assistant view appears, which looks something like a spreadsheet. You will see your name and schedule in the top row under the All Attendees section. This is an easy way to view all attendees' schedules to make sure everyone is free for a meeting.
If you know the name of the person (or people) you wish to add, click in the space under your name (just below ALL ATTENDEES) that says Add New, and type in the person's name or username into the search field on the window that pops up.
If you wish to look up a person's name instead, click the Address Book icon next to the To: field.
If you know the person's name or username you may type that into the To: field.
Required: Invitees to be regarded as necessary by the Suggested Times list. Invitees are by default listed as required.
Optional: Invitees for whom attendance is optional; separated from Required Attendees in the Suggested Times list.
Resource: This label marks rooms or equipment added to the meeting, and is regarded as necessary by the Suggested Times list.
Remove: This is to remove an Attendee who can not attend the meeting.