EPD - EPD Essentials - Safari Books Online
About Safari Books Online
The University Library subscribes to an e-book service called Safari Books Online™ (not to be confused with the web browser Safari). Safari provides full-text searching across a custom collection of 200 titles by leading information technology publishers, most notably O'Reilly and Addison-Wesley Professional.
Access Safari Books Online
- Go to UW-Madison Libraries
- Select Databases from the dropdown menu and search for "Safari". If not on campus and on the public internet, clicking on this link will go to an authentication page, after which all of the steps are the same.
- Once in Safari Books Online, search for books by title, subject, or publisher. The EPD course will list the books that are used in the course, which ones are offered through Safari, and the course resources will include quick links to these books if they are to be used frequently.
Short-Cut to Return to the Same Book
Safari Books Online™, unlike some e-book services, does not offer a personal bookshelf. The bookshelf that is referred to on their home page is the whole UW subscription.
- Create a personal bookmark within the browser for the books that should be returned to.
- To create a number of bookmarks at one time and load them in to a browser, the form of the URL for an individual book to access in Safari is:
- Off Campus: <http://madcat.library.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?BBID=7685812>. The final digit in the string is a UW number for the book which can be found in UW's MadCat search summary below the ISBN number of the specific book.
- On Campus: <http://proquest.safaribooksonline.com/?uicode=uwimad&xmIld=0596004168>. The final digit in the string is the ISBN number of the book, without hyphens.