This document details the usage and setup of a Browser widget within the WiscIT Desktop Client.
What is a Browser Widget?
WiscIT allows for the creation of browser widgets for the dashboard that can be used to display a web page on a dashboard.
Search Results List widgets can be used for:
- Displaying a web page via URL
- Displaying an HTML page
Browser widgets are very convenient for displaying various web content onto the dashboard, such as videos!
Creating a Browser Widget
To create a Browser widget, you'll need to follow these steps (shown in the example screenshot):
- Create a new widget that can be edited. For more information on this, see WiscIT - Creating a Widget.
- Name: This is the name used when the widget is viewed in the Widget Manager. Assign it to anything you want.
- Type: Make sure "Browser" is selected.
- Browser: There are two options you have when creating a browser widget.
- Refresh every: Mark this box to manually determine the refresh rate of the widget. This can be configured by the minute or by the hour.
Once these options have been configured, click "OK" at the bottom of the window. The widget is now ready to be placed in a dashboard!
See [Link for document 42291 is unavailable at this time.] for instructions on creating a new dashboard with this widget or see WiscIT - Using the Dashboard Editor for help with adding this widget to an existing dashboard.
Creating a new HTML page
Select the ellipses next to the HTML page field to open up the HTML Page Manager.
Click the Create New button to create a new HTML page.
- In the drop-down menu that appears, select Internal HTML Page to add your own HTML, or External HTML Page to link to a website URL. In this example, we'll use the internal option.
- In the HTML page options menu, give the HTML a name and description. You can also change the background color to a preset or custom color. Once done, click "OK".
- In the HTML page editor that appears, type in your HTML and then click "OK" to save it.
Using the Website Browser
Clicking the Browse button in the Web Site option opens up a browser window to see which page is in the URL field. By default, this opens up to the main UW Madison page:
This browser can be navigated to your desired URL. To save the changes, click "OK". To return to the default page at any time, click the home button.