iClicker - Technical Issues (UW-Madison)
Background: iClicker is a student response system used in classrooms for polling, formative assessment, and attendance. It is not a centrally supported tool on the University of Wisconsin-Madison, but instructors may choose to use the tool if they wish. The University of Wisconsin-Madison does not formally provide technical support for the tool. Best practice for support is to work directly with the iClicker company.
iClicker has had significant technical problems with the Desire2Learn integration tool. These issues are related to programming and system engineering at the iClicker company.
Communicating with iClicker: iClicker support has been providing incorrect information regarding support. They have not been proactively providing the UW-Madison Campus with communications regarding technical problems or solutions.
- If iClicker support informs you to contact your campus administrator, please know that we do not have a campus administrator. This is not a centrally supported tool.
- If iClicker support informs you that they do not have access to D2L servers, please inform them that none of the data is stored on our servers. All data is mitigated at iClicker, not on our campus.
Issues timeline Spring 2015:
- February 11: iClicker has issues a fix for the D2L integration. This issue was related to and SSL v.3 security breach that affected campuses across the country. To update your software, please refer to knowledge base document https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=46642.
- February 6: iClicker has informed us that the D2L INTEGRATION is not working at this time. They do not know how pervasive or severe this issue is.
- There have been some reports that the iClicker presentation software has crashed on the Mac OS Yosemite. This has happened during lecture and has resulted in the instructors needed to reboot their computer.
Issues timeline Fall 2014:
- Version 6 (current integration version with Desire2Learn):
- The iClicker integration with Desire2Learn was originally built into iClicker software version 6.4.1. Many classes using this version experienced the inability to download rosters, sync remotes with student names, or upload grades. This was not an issue that could be mitigated or corrected on our campus. It was related to a security breach in the coding of the software.
- iClicker provided a new version, 6.4.2, in December to correct this security breach and ensure syncing can occur. This did not work. They repackaged the software and we distributed it through the knowledge base.
- Version 7:
- The integration with version 7 is not available on our campus.
- Please note, while iClicker did promote version 7, they are not longer promoting it as the top software. They have not explained why this version has been pulled down from top billing.