BN - WED - State Group Life Missing/Incorrect ABBR Report
This KB document provides the steps required to add an Annual Benefit Base Rate for State Group Life based on the WED - SGL Missing/Incorrect ABBR Report.
State Group Life Insurance requires an Annual Benefit Base Rate (ABBR) for the payroll process to accurately calculate the insurance premiums to charge each payroll. When employees are missing an SGL ABBR, the system will revert to annual salary which has not been rounded according to the rules for State Group Life. Benefit Administrators need to review the employee's job and compensation data and update or add an ABBR accordingly.
- Error listing:
- Employees with an ABBR of less than $1,000 OR
- Employees who are missing an ABBR for SGL
- Credentialed users can enter an ABBR or correct an ABBR
- Updated Annual Benefit Base Rate for State Group Life on all active Employee Records.
- WiscIT requesting a Payline Adjustment if the employee's premiums were incorrect and you do not have access to enter paylines.
- The employee will fall off the error query the following business day.
- The WED is available for credentialed users ONLY and are based on current security roles. Queries will be viewable only if they have the ability to fix them.
- The ABBR should be entered or fixed prior to the first payroll in which State Group Life Insurance premiums will be charged.
- SGL ABBR's are based on an estimated annual salary during the first year an employee is eligible for the WRS. The Annual SGL Process will then update the ABBR each year based on the prior WRS year's earnings or the highest year of reported WRS earnings, whichever is higher.
- SGL ABBR should match the coverage amount on the State Group Life Insurance application submitted to Department of Employee Trust Funds. A SGL ABBR amount is needed to submit eBenefits enrollments to Department of Employee Trust Funds.
- SGL7 ABBR's are based on 50% of highest year of reported WRS earnings.
- An SGL and SGL7 ABBR must be added to EVERY active Employee Rcd (Empl_Rcd) to ensure that the SGL premiums will calculate correctly regardless of which Empl_Rcd is marked as the Benefits Primary Record. More information on Benefits Primary Records is available in the Related KB Documents and Job Aids section below.
- HRS will NOT recognize a change in ABBR as an event requiring benefits retro to calculate. In the event an ABBR has been changed after a payroll has run, a payline adjustment will be required to pick up the missing premium. If you do not have the security to add a payline adjustment, please open a WiscIT and assign it to your AG Group. Please note: clicking the WiscIT button will not automatically create a ticket for you in Cherwell.
- ABBR effective date cannot be earlier than the hire date on each Employee Record.
- State Group Life ABBR's are NOT changed mid-year due to changes in FTE or annual salary.
- If you are missing an ABBR for a date other than the initial date of State Group Life eligibility (i.e. an historical row), you will need to use correction to add the effective dated row.
1. Log into HRS. The Workflow Exception Dashboard queries will appear to the right of the main menu. Error queries appear based on your current security and whether there is an error to fix.
2. Click on the hyperlink for the UW_BN_SGL_ABBR query.
3. A current list of employees who are missing an SGL ABBR or who have an ABBR of less than $1,000 will be displayed. This list will be refreshed each evening.
Empl_ID's that appear as hyperlinks in the list have more than one error. (This may occur if the employee has a missing or incorrect ICI ABBR as well as the SGL error.)
4. Click the Check to Claim checkbox next to the employee you wish to work on. Your name will appear in the Claimed By section with the date and time noted.
5. Click the BN_ANNL_BENEF_BASE hyperlink for the employee you have claimed.
6. The employee's Update ABBR page will be displayed. Click on the magnifying glass icon to select the ABBR type of SGL or SGL7.
7. To ensure that the correct ABBR is entered, you will need to navigate to the employee's JOB Data pages to obtain the date they became eligible for SGL and their annual salary. Click the "New Window" hyperlink in the top right corner of your screen to open a second window to obtain this data.
8. Navigate to Workforce Administration > Job Information > Job Data and enter the employee's Empl_ID and click Search.
9. On the Work Location Tab verify the employee's SGL eligibility date. In our example, the employee became eligible for WRS as of the Date of Hire.
10. Click on the Compensation tab to obtain the employee's estimated annual salary which is the basis for the SGL ABBR for initial hires. In this case the salary is already rounded up to the nearest $1000. (NOTE: You MUST round the salary up to the next highest $1,000 before entering it an ABBR. For example, a salary of $14,000.01 is rounded up to $15,000. For an example of multiple jobs, Empl Rcd 0 salary of $14,300.00 and a Empl Rcd 1 salary of $14,500.00 are added together and rounded up to the nearest thousand to become $29,000.00.)
11. To add the employee's ABBR, click on your original window or navigate to Benefits > Employee/Dependent Information > Update ABBRs. (Note: this menu item is directly above the display ABBR menu item. If you click directly from the display to the update screen, the system will remember the Empl_ID you entered for display and take you directly into the page without having to Search for the employee again.
12. Click on the magnifying glass icon to select the ABBR type of SGL or SGL7. The Effective Date used must be equal or prior to the deduction effective date of their State Group Life enrollment, and the Annual Benefits Base Rate equal to the annual salary rounded UP to the next highest $1,000. In our example, we are adding an ABBR Type of SGL, an Effective Date of 8/18/2015, and an ABBR amount of $63,000. (Please note: do not use commas or decimal points when entering an ABBR. The system will add the decimal point upon saving the record. In addition, you will not be able to enter a effective date earlier than the Employee Record hire date.) When all information has been added, click the Save button to save the record.
13. To verify that you now have an SGL ABBR entered into the system, navigate back to Review ABBR's (menu item below Update ABBRs on the left menu bar)
Related Policies, KB Documents, Job Aids and Forms
Related Job Aids
- RR - WED - Workflow Exception Dashboard
- UWSC Support - Personalize HRS Home Page Content and Layout
- BN - WED - Benefit Primary Flag Assignment
- BN - Annual Benefits Base Rate (ABBR)
- Document 50511 is unavailable at this time.
- BN - WED - ABBR Mismatch Report
- BN - WED - ABBR Unrounded Report
- BN - Review Life and AD/D Benefits Enrollments