Web Hosting - Consultation Services for Dedicated Servers
DoIT's Web Hosting Service provides a Shared Hosting standardized community web publishing and application hosting environment for UW-Madison departments and other affiliates. But did you know the Web Hosting team can also offer its diversity of expertise to assist with dedicated hosting setups?
From the inception of the new system's architecture to execution of the server setup and providing timely day-to-day support – we are here to guide your decision-making for the best cost/benefit solution you can achieve.
Below you will find a summary of the various services we can provide on a time and material basis for dedicated servers.
We are available for an initial no-cost consultation. Please contact: email@example.com if interested.
- Advise you about available versions of your OS, web server, databases, and other software options.
- Help ensure you are setup with adequate processing power, memory, etc.
- Explain our multiple tiers of storage with custom options for backup and recovery.
- Explain multiple-server clustering and/or caching capabilities for high load or high availability hosting.
- Encrypted hosting under SSL/HTTPS – we request, install and renew trusted InCommon certificates provided by OCIS.
- Platform appliance and host-based firewall management.
- Web Application Firewall.
- Vulnerability scanning and mitigation assistance.
- Regular platform patching, including quarterly and security updates.
- Assist with IP acquisition and domain registration/configuration on the web server.
- Facilitate requests for resources from the DoIT platform.
- Help navigate and adhere to campus Change Management policy.
Access Controls for Publishing Management
We'll help you understand the granularity of access levels to your server (root shell, admin/RDP to limited Secure FTP, file sharing, etc.)
Web Server and Application Performance Tuning
- Expertise in Nginx, Apache, IIS, Tomcat.
- Optimization solutions in conjunction with DoIT's Software and Load Testing Team.
- Integration – external or internal to the server(s).
- Scalable enterprise solutions, working directly with DRMT DBAs.
We'll suggest and help you set up appropriate monitoring of your web application to ensure timely notification of any issues that affect its availability to end users.
NetID or Wisconsin Federated Login via Shibboleth
We'll provide assistance with installation, authorization and configuration of Shibboleth for NetID/Federated login services.
- Ease of problem resolution via a single point of contact.
- Rapid Response with a team approach to coverage.