Learn@UW (UW-Madison Only) - Changing Info in Automatically Created Courses
This document describes what information is automatically generated when a Learn@UW course is created, as well as what information can and cannot be changed by the instructor.
What information is created automatically?
Prior to the start of each term, Learn@UW receives data from the University's central ISIS registration system about courses and rosters. This data is used to create Learn@UW course sites for the term.
The following registration information is automatically created along with a Learn@UW course:
- Course roster, including all instructors of record and students, as well as "crosslisting" and "meets with" data. The imported student and instructor information includes full name and email addresses
- Section groups (can be used to create distinct discussion groups, or to sort when using tools such as the dropbox or gradebook)
This data is imported from the ISIS registration system and updated within Learn@UW every evening.
What information cannot be changed by instructors?
While instructors and students can be added to a Learn@UW class by anyone with instructor access, some information must be changed in the University's central ISIS registration system and cannot be changed manually.
- Registration data such as rosters and crosslisted classes cannot be changed by the course instructor or by Learn@UW support. All changes to this info must be made in ISIS by the departmental "timetable rep."
- Additionally, students must enroll with the online registration system in My UW-Madison to be officially enrolled in the class. Student enrollment (drop/adds) in the course Classlist is updated each night automatically.
What information can be changed by instructors?
Some data which are generated in the automatic course creation process can be changed by a course instructor.
- The Course Name, which appears on both My Home and in the course Navbar, can be changed under Edit Course > Course Offering Information. See the screenshot under step 5 of Learn@UW (UW-Madison Only) - Activating a Current Semester Course; be sure to click the Save button to save any changes to the course name.
- Instructors and emergency student additions (prior to update from ISIS) can be made by following the instructions in Learn@UW (UW-Madison Only) - Adding Participants to a Course.