D2L - Changing Info in Automatically Created Courses (UW-Madison)
UW-Madison is adopting Canvas as the single, centrally supported learning management system, and discontinuing support for Desire2Learn (D2L) and Moodle. Access to D2L and Moodle will permanently end June 1, 2018. For information about retaining materials from D2L or Moodle, please refer to this document.
This document describes what information is automatically generated when a D2L course is created, as well as what information can and cannot be changed by the instructor.
What information is created automatically?
Prior to the start of each term, D2L receives data from the University's central SIS registration system about courses and rosters. This data is used to create D2L course sites for the term.
The following registration information is automatically created along with a D2L course:
- Course roster, including all instructors of record and students, as well as "crosslisting" and "meets with" data. The imported student and instructor information includes full name and email addresses
- Section groups (can be used to create distinct discussion groups, or to sort when using tools such as the dropbox or gradebook)
This data is imported from the SIS registration system and updated within D2L every evening.
What information cannot be changed by instructors?
While instructors and students can be added to a D2L class by anyone with instructor access, some information must be changed in the University's central SIS registration system and cannot be changed manually.
- Registration data such as rosters and crosslisted classes cannot be changed by the course instructor or by Learn@UW support. All changes to this info must be made in SIS by the departmental "timetable rep."
- Additionally, students must enroll with the online registration system in My UW-Madison to be officially enrolled in the class. Student enrollment (drop/adds) in the course Classlist is updated each night automatically.
What information can be changed by instructors?
Some data which are generated in the automatic course creation process can be changed by a course instructor.
- The Course Name, which appears on both My Home and in the course Navbar, can be changed under Edit Course > Course Offering Information. See the screenshot under step 5 of D2L - Activating a Current Semester Course (UW-Madison); be sure to click the Save button to save any changes to the course name.
- Instructors and emergency student additions (prior to update from SIS) can be made by following the instructions in D2L - Adding Participants to a Course (UW-Madison).