Version date: April 2015
What is MARCH?
Which institutions are MARCH partners?
- Indiana University
- University of Minnesota
- Mayo Clinic
- Medical College of Wisconsin
- The Ohio State University
- University of Michigan
- University of Wisconsin - Madison
Who may qualify to use the MARCH reliance agreement?
Researchers affiliated with one or more MARCH institutions may use the MARCH reliance agreement. Studies must be approved, however, by the MARCH governing board to qualify as a MARCH study and thus eligible for review under the MARCH reliance agreement.
What types of research may qualify for review under the MARCH reliance agreement?
MARCH is not restricted to any particular type of research, although each institution reserves the right to retain local IRB oversight if deemed appropriate for a certain study.
What is the first step in requesting review by MARCH?
To be eligible to use the MARCH reliance agreement, studies must first be reviewed and approved by the MARCH governing body. The first step in the process is submitting study materials to MARCH administration for review by the governing body. After approval, study materials are provided to IRB administrators at the participating institutions to determine whether review by a single IRB is appropriate. NOTE: The MARCH reliance agreement is currently limited for use only for those studies formally approved by the MARCH governing body.
How long does it take for MARCH IRB reliance partners to determine whether a study qualifies for review by a single IRB?
IRB administrators typically review study materials promptly following approval by the MARCH governing body. How quickly an IRB office can determine whether review by a single IRB is appropriate varies and depends on factors such as how well the study protocol is prepared and whether local institutional requirements (e.g., training, ancillary committee reviews, etc.) have been met.
- Who can I contact with questions about the HS IRBs' participation in the MARCH? Please email any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please contact the HS IRBs’ Reliance Team if you are interested in using the MARCH reliance agreement.
- When preparing a study for consideration by MARCH, please keep in mind that all MARCH studies require a detailed study protocol.