AM - ALRA Counter Adjustment
The ALRA counter is the number of months a person has been in a qualified State Service position. There is a calculator on the UWSC website to assist in determining the amount the ALRA counter should be.
The ALRA counter is a mechanism used to count the number of months a Faculty/Academic Staff/Limited Appointment (FA/AS/LI) (unclassified) person has been in State Service. An ALRA Counter Adjustment is necessary in certain circumstances, such as when someone transfers in from another State Agency, they transfer from University Staff (Classified) to FA/AS/LI (Unclassified), or if they go from C basis to A basis. The counter determines when an employee is eligible to bank into ALRA.
- This can be adjusted retroactively by the UWSC.
- Calculate the ALRA count
- The following counts toward the ALRA total:
- University Staff Ongoing (Classified permanent) service
- FA/AS/LI (Unclassified) service covered by Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS)
- Approved leaves of absence from these appointments
- Partial months will be counted as a whole month.
- Breaks in state service, positions not eligible for leave or FA/AS/LI (unclassified) service not covered by WRS.