BN - UW FSA/LPFSA New Hire Enrollment Process
This business process outlines the procedure for making a new hire election to an employee's FSA.
Employees can elect FSA upon new hire.
The FSA Enrollment form is to be used by employees to enroll into their Medical, Dependent Care, or Limited Purpose FSA annual elections within 30 days of hire.
This business process outlines the procedure for enrolling a new employee in FSA within 30 days of hire. If an employee wants to enroll in Medical, Dependent Care or Limited Purpose FSA or make a change to an existing election due to a qualifying life event, they must enroll via "Change of Election" form. Visit BN - UW FSA/LPFSA Qualifying Event Process for that process.
- Employee provides a completed FSA Enrollment form to a campus administrator.
- The Service Center sends an eligibility file to TASC.
- Applications must be submitted within 30 days of the employee's hire date.
- If the employee is enrolling in the Limited Purpose FSA (LPFSA), verify in HRS that the employee is enrolled in the HDHP & HSA plans first. If the employee is not enrolled in these plans, they are not eligible for the LPFSA. Check with the employee to see if they meant to enroll in the medical FSA plan instead.
Enrollment Application Tips
- If the employee would like to update their TASC profile, they may do so when their information has been transmitted to TASC and an account has been created.
- Example: For a bi-weekly employee with coverage effective 4/1/15, the date of first payroll would be 4/16/15 (4A Pay Date).
- Note: In HRS, the annual election will be divided by the number of remaining pay periods in the calendar year to determine a pay period deduction. For 9-month employees, be sure to override and divide the annual election over the remaining pay periods in the calendar year. This assumes they are returning in the fall. (Note: FSA deductions are not taken in the summer months.)
- Remember, employees cannot have deductions taken prior to their coverage effective date.
Related Policies, Job Aids and Forms
Related Job Aids