Learn@UW - External LMS Integrations (UW-Madison)
UW-Madison is adopting Canvas as the single, centrally supported learning management system, and discontinuing support for Desire2Learn (D2L) and Moodle. Access to D2L and Moodle will permanently end June 1, 2018. For information about retaining materials from D2L or Moodle, please refer to this document.
This document is for users of a UW-Madison learning management system (LMS) who are interested in knowing more about the process for integrating external, third-party vendor tools with it. It also includes a link to the integration request form.
What is meant by "external integrations?"
How long does it take?
What can I do to assist the process?
- Submit a request and allow adequate lead time. Details on how to access the request form are below. It's suggested that you submit a request well ahead of when you actually plan to begin using the integration. Again, 3-4 months is recommended; at least one semester of lead time is preferred. It's also recommended that you plan accordingly for the rare possibility that required evaluation criteria may not be met.
- Provide some basic, up-front information about the integration. This includes when you plan to start using it, what it will be used for, how many students will use it, and so on (this information is required on the request form). Asking the vendor detailed questions about what the integration will do after it's in place may help you provide some of this information.
- Assist with testing. Testing is part of the evaluation process. Since all courses are designed uniquely, the Learn@UW Madison Service Team will require your assistance with testing in order to see how the integration functions once it's been put in place in your course(s).
- Inform your students. It will be the instructors' responsibility to communicate to students that the third-party tool is being used as part of the course. This includes informing them of how to use the integration, contact the vendor's Help Desk, or find help documents online, if applicable.
How do I request an integration?
- Ask the vendor for a description of how the integration works. It's suggested that you request a product demonstration, if possible.
- Review the UW-Madison CIO guidelines for privacy, intellectual property, security and records retention. Reviewing this document will help give you an awareness of the types of questions that will be asked of the vendor as part of the Learn@UW Madison Service Team's review process.
- Complete the request form.