Canvas - Submitting Final Grades to the Registrar's Office
This document describes how to submit final grades (referred to as Total grades in Canvas) to the Registrar's Office.
Please refer to the following instructions for submitting final grades from your Canvas course to the Registrar's Office.
To submit final grades from your Canvas course to the Registrar's Office
- Go to your Canvas course and create a grading scheme for your gradebook. For details, see How do I create a grading scheme for my course? from the Canvas Community help center.
- After applying the grading scheme to your course, click Grades to view the gradebook. Ensure that the grades appear properly.
- Ungraded columns: Total grade calculation only includes graded columns. It omits all empty (ungraded) columns from the total calculation. When it’s time to display Final Total grade, click on the Gear icon and choose “Treat Ungraded as 0’s” so that the Final Total reflects student true grade at the end of the term.
- Weighting: To adjust assignment weights, see How do I change assignment weights in the Gradebook? from the Canvas Community help center.
- Dropping lowest/highest scores: To drop certain scores from the final grade, see How do I create rules for an assignment group? from the Canvas Community help center.
- When your Canvas grades are ready to submit, click the Export button in the Canvas gradebook to create an exported file of the grades. Choose Current from the drop-down menu.
- Open the gradebook file that was just created and ensure that it has a "Final Grade" column containing scores. If the "Final Grade" column is missing, double-check that you enabled a grading scheme in the course settings and re-export.
- Refer to the Registrar's Office grade submission instructions and follow all steps under "Exporting and Importing a Grade Roster" and "Exporting & Entering Grades in Excel." On step 12, copy and paste the "Final Grade" scores from the Canvas exported file into the "Grade Input" column of the exported Registrar's Office roster, making sure each students' grade matches up properly from one spreadsheet to another.
- Import your grades back to the Registrar's Office system by following steps 18-26 under "Importing Your Grades from the Grade Roster Export Excel File" of the Registrar's Office grade submission instructions.
Final housekeeping items
Now that your Canvas course is concluded, it's recommended that you do the following:
- Keep an offline copy of the final exported grades from the Canvas gradebook for your records.
- Export your Canvas course to keep as a backup copy. For instructions, see How do I export a Canvas course? from the Canvas Community help center.