AM - Entering ALRA Conversion Through ESS - Employee Self Service
Employees using Employee Self Services (ESS) are able to enter their ALRA conversion election through Employee Self Service similar to entering leave time taken. This ALRA conversion will be auto approved. (Pictures of examples have dates that are not current year. Current year data will display when doing entry.)
- Twelve-month faculty, academic staff, and/or limited employees with a 12-month appointment are eligible to bank into an Annual Leave Reserve Account (ALRA) after they have completed 10 or more fiscal years of continuous employment. Banking of leave comes from the vacation balance or the vacation carryover balance on June 30th.
- Beginning with the 11th fiscal year, an employee is “eligible” to bank up to 40 hours of vacation or vacation carryover. The option to bank vacation is offered immediately following the fiscal year in which an employee is eligible.
- Example: If you complete 10 years of service anywhere between July 2017 and June 2018, you are “eligible” effective July 1, 2018. You will not be offered the election to bank those hours until July of 2019.
- Beginning with the 25th fiscal year, an employee is “eligible” to bank up to 80 hours of vacation or vacation carryover. The option to bank vacation is offered immediately following the fiscal year in which an employee is eligible.
- Any hours placed in the Annual Leave Reserve Account (ALRA) do not expire and can be used at any time or paid out upon termination or retirement.
- Blank copies of this form can be obtained by your payroll coordinator.
- Campus login ID and password for My UW System Portal
Log in to the My UW System portal at https://my.wisconsin.edu/ (Note: UW-Madison employees log in to the My UW-Madison portal). For more information on logging into the My UW System portal, please see UWSC Support - Logging in to the My.Wisconsin.edu / My.Wisc.edu System Portal .
Under the Time and Absence module click the Leave Reports tab. Select the July Report. If it is not there you must wait until it is.
Determine the amount of hours you are eligible to to convert. This can be found at the bottom of the leave report.
Locate the Time and Absence module and click the Enter Absence link.
You will now see the Request Absence page. This is where you fill out the specific information for your ALRA conversion.
Note: If you are employed at more than one job you will need to select the job you wish to convert your vacation from a list before you will be taken to the Request Absence page. ALRA conversion can be applied to one or more positions as long as there are vacation hours available to convert. (Dates in the picture are just examples. Employee should see current year data.)
Note: ALRA conversion takes must be entered between the dates of 7/1/20xx and 10/31/20xx
- Start Date (required): The date you want the conversion to occur, you can enter the date by typing it in the format MM/DD/YYYY or by clicking the calendar icon and selecting the correct day. Choose a date between 7/1-10/31. It is recommended using a date earlier in the date range. Vacation usage is given a priority in processing so if there is usage that will process before processing the conversion to ALRA. Vacation usage could impact hours available to convert.
- End Date: This must be the same date as the start date. You will receive an error message if the dates are not the same.
- Filter by Type: Leave it set to All.
- Absence Name (required): Select Convert Vac to ALRA
After selecting the Absence Name, a convert field will appear for you to fill out. Input hours to convert, click submit. You will receive an error message if the hours are not entered in whole hours. HRS will verify eligibility and availability before converting.
Note: If you are eligible to convert more hours to ALRA than you have available only the maximum hours available will be converted. For example: If 40 hours are submitted and employee is eligible to convert 40 hours but only 32 are available, only the 32 will be converted to ALRA. You will receive an error message if you enter more than you have available.
Click Submit. You will receive this message following the submission if there are no errors. If you receive an error message that you believe is incorrect see your payroll coordinator as the conversion is auto approved.
You will now see the Request Details page which lists the details of the request and its status. Conversion is auto approved.
Note: Because the conversion is auto approved your payroll coordinator is not directly involved. If there is an error with the conversion to ALRA contact your payroll coordinator. They will need to make the necessary changes because it cannot be pushed back.
- To view more information on vacation visit the UPS Operational Policy by clicking here.