AM - Entering and Reviewing ALRA Conversion - Payroll Coordinator
This procedure outlines steps for employees conversion of ALRA for a coordinator.
General Description:Employees using Employee Self Service (ESS) are able to enter their ALRA conversion election through Employee Self Service similar to entering leave time taken. Payroll coordinators can view the conversion entry in Absence Event or UWS Absence Event. Payroll coordinators can enter ALRA conversions for employee's not using ESS. The Absence Event Report can be run to verify processed ALRA conversion entry.
Process Considerations:Twelve-month faculty, academic staff, and/or limited employees with a 12-month appointment are eligible to bank into an Annual Leave Reserve Account (ALRA) after they have completed 10 or more fiscal years of continuous employment. Banking of leave comes from the vacation balance or the vacation carryover balance on June 30th. Beginning with the 11th fiscal year, an employee is “eligible” to bank up to 40 hours of vacation or vacation carryover. The option to bank vacation is offered immediately following the fiscal year in which an employee is eligible. Beginning with the 25th fiscal year, an employee is “eligible” to bank up to 80 hours of vacation or vacation carryover. The option to bank vacation is offered immediately following the fiscal year in which an employee is eligible.
Example: If you complete 10 years of service anywhere between July 2015 and June 2016, you are “eligible” effective July 1, 2016. You will not be offered the election to bank those hours until July of 2017.Any hours placed in the Annual Leave Reserve Account (ALRA) do not expire and can be used at any time or paid out upon termination or retirement.
Employees should review their July Leave Report, it will indicate the employee's ALRA eligibility. The employee will need to complete the ALRA request section at the bottom of the July Leave Report to indicate he/she wants to place vacation time into ALRA.
Entering ALRA conversion for an employee not using ESS, please follow these steps:
- Navigate to: Global Payroll & Absence Mgmt > Payee Data > Maintain Absences > UWS Absences
- Search your employee(s) either by Empl ID or Group ID.
- Select the check-box next to the employee's name and click Request Absence.
- If necessary add a row. Enter the Event From Date. You may use a weekend date in the current month to avoid days where the employees may have true absences to record. The Event To Date will default to the same date. Do not enter a date range.
- Note: The convert to ALRA absence take MUST be dated within 7/1-10/31.
- Select the Absence Take: Convert Vac to ALRA
- Enter the number of vacation hours the employee would like to place in ALRA in the Conversion Hours box.
- Click OK.
- HRS will process the Conversion of vacation to ALRA in that night's monthly absence calculation. The system will first take hours from Vacation Carryover Lost as of the fiscal year that just ended (if available), then current year Vacation Carryover (if available) and convert the total amount elected to the ALRA balance.
- Locate Absence Event through Global Payroll & Absence Mgmt > Payee Data > Maintain Absences > Absence Event
- Enter employee ID
- In Absence Event Entry click the details link for the Conversion Vac to ALRA (UNC)
4. In details link, Decimal 1: hours requested to be converted to ALRA
5. To see what has actually processed go to Results by Calendar and Absence Data:
Global Payroll & Absence Mgmt > Absence and Payroll > Review Absence/Payroll Info > Results by Calendar > Absence Data
6. In the Absence Data tab:
Note: If there are changes that need to be made or if there are errors with the conversion to ALRA, the payroll coordinator will need to make the necessary changes. Because the conversion is auto approved it cannot be pushed back to the employee. The ALRA Eligibility/Election Report can also be created as needed to review which employees have a conversion entered and processed. See KB AM - ALRA Eligibility/Election Summary Report for instructions on how to run the report.
- Madison Employees : Vacation .
- System Employees: To view more information on vacation visit UPS Operational Policy: BN 1- https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/download/policies/ops/bn1.pdf.
- AM - Entering ALRA Conversion Through ESS - Employee Self Service
- AM - ALRA Eligibility/Election Summary Report