KB User's Guide - Users Tab - Adding a User
This document explains how to add a user to your KB and grant them appropriate permissions. In the spirit of Best Practices, KB Admins control permissions to their KB Site. However, please be mindful that any user with the Users permission enabled may make changes to User permissions.
The Add a New User Screen
- Navigate to the New User Screen: KB Admin Tools > Users tab > Add New User link > Add New User screen.
- You will be presented with this form.
Description of Fields
Fill in the following fields, an asterisk denotes that the field is required:
- *NetID - Enter the NetID or username of the user.
- *Domain - Enter the domain, (University of Wisconsin-Madison: wisc.edu, University of Chicago: uchicago.edu).
- *First Name - New User's First name.
- Middle Name - New User's Middle name.
- Last Name - New User's Last name.
- *Email - New User's email address.
- Phone Number - New User's phone number.
- Password - This is for local authentication only (if you don't use your domain's authentication system, e.g., NetID authentication for UW-Madison).
- Active - Check this to make the user active; if unchecked the user has no access to the KB System.
Check this box: To grant access to:
The internal KnowledgeBase
Create, edit, and review Drafts and Active Docs owned by the user.
Create, edit, and review Drafts and Active Docs owned by any member of the group.
Allow the user to post News items.
Allow the user to create, edit, and delete Topics.
Allow the user access to most of the site administration functions. Access to this site is generally limited to only a few people per site.
Allow the user to add, delete, alter permissions for New users as well as existing users.
Allow the user to add, delete, alter Assessment Modules.
Allows the user access to info specifying which documents are being viewed on each site.
Allows user permission to activate and deactivate documents on your site.
- Select all access rights buttons - Checks the box in every permission listed in the above table
- Select default access rights - Resets a user to the defaulted checked permissions: Active, iKB, OwnerDocs and GroupsDocs.
- Deselect all access rights - Deselects all permissions that have been previously checked.
- Subject Areas - Enter the New User's area(s) of expertise.
- UserAccessGroups - Check on any and all applicable UserAccessGroups. Please see KB User's Guide - Users Tab - User Access Groups and Limited Access Groups for more details.
Which Checkboxes Should I Check?
Desired Access: Check These Boxes: To grant a user read only access to an internal KB (user can read docs on the KB but cannot create or edit documents). Check Active and iKB.
Do NOT check oDocs or gDocs.
To grant a user permission to create and edit only documents they own: Check oDoc
(as well as Active and iKB (for internal sites))
To grant a user permission to create and edit documents owned by anyone in the group: Check gDoc
(as well as Active and iKB, and probably oDoc)
To grant a user permission to access the Topics, News, SitePref, Users, Asst, or Stats tabs: Check the corresponding checkbox.
NOTE: Managers like to review stats, so be sure to give them access to this page.
To grant a user permission to publish documents (make documents active on either internal or external KB sites): Check Publish To be considered a KB Administrator Check all available permissions
(Active, iKB, ... Publish)
Click on Add User button.
When Entering a New User, Fields May Auto-Fill
If you begin to add a user who already belongs to another KB subsite, all their information will auto-fill. A line of text identifying what that user's current default group is will appear next to the NetID field, which will read
FirstName LastName's default group space: KB Subsite Name .
KB Admins will easily determine the other KB group in which their new user exists. The KB Admin can then contact that Group, should the user need to be removed (e.g. if the default group list a a department where the new user had worked with in the past). Or, KB Admin(s) may ask their new user to update their own Default KB space.