HR - UPS Voluntary Reassignment Process (Univ Staff to Academic Staff/Limited)
Effective 8/1/2015, exempt University Staff employees at the UW can volunteer to be reassigned to an Academic Staff or Limited appointment type. Triggered by the HRS HR Job row, several downstream HRS modules are impacted by this reassignment. This KB describes the entire HRS process for the voluntary reassignment from University Staff to Academic Staff or Limited. It is designed to address the high-level activities that need to be performed in order to implement the reassignment in HRS in a single KB. The KB also references more detailed KBs and other reference materials that are relevant to this process.
This process KB describes the high level activities required in order to administer a voluntary HR reassignment from University Staff to an Academic Staff or Limited appointment.
- Employee: Decision to voluntary move
- HR: Position Change
- HR: HRS entry of the reassignment Job row. Action/Action Reason = Position Change/Voluntary Reassignment AS/LI
- MSC Benefit event
- ICI application (if enrolled)
- TASC FSA/HSA Transfer Form (if enrolled)
- Voluntary Reassignment Absence Management form
- Voluntary Reassignments are always processed for a future date.
- Employee decides to voluntarily transfer
- Institution HR makes the position change and corresponding Job update
- Institution HR notifies the institution payroll unit of the employee transfer
- Decision Point: Does the employee have active general deductions?
- Yes: Institution payroll unit stops the general deductions from taking from the employee's last biweekly paycheck (completed prior to the confirm of the last biweekly check)
- If applicable, institution payroll unit adjusts the deductions to reflect the new amount for the first monthly payroll (completed after the confirm of the last biweekly paycheck and prior to the confirm of the first monthly check). Proceed to step 5
- No: Proceed to step 5
- Institution HR adds an E40 unclassified employee work schedule to the employee
- A benefit event corresponding to the previous Job update is created and prepared
- Institution benefits administrator is notified of the pending benefits eligibility change via the Miscellaneous Event Eval report
- Institution benefits administrator reviews the employee's benefit enrollments
- Institution benefits administrator finalizes the Voluntary Reassignment benefit event
- Decision Point: Is the employee enrolled in ICI, FSA/HSA, or Savings (TSA or WI Deferred Compensation) plans?
- Yes: Employee completes the appropriate benefit forms to change plans and/or update the per payroll contribution
- Institution benefit administrator process the received applications. Proceed to step 11
- No: Proceed to step 11
- Decision Point: Is the institution credentialed to enter benefit paylines?
- Yes: Institution benefits unit stops the benefit deductions from the last biweekly payroll. Proceed to step 13
- No: Institution benefits unit sends an email to its Service Center Affinity Group to create a Voluntary Reassignment ticket. Ticket Category: UWSC HR; Subcategory: UPS - Voluntary Reassignment. Proceed to step 12
- Service Center Affinity Group stops the benefit deductions from taking from the last biweekly payroll and emails a reply to the institution requesting the Absence Management Voluntary Reassignment form
- Institution absence management unit removes all future-dated absence takes for the former University Staff job
- Institution absence management unit completes the Absence Management Voluntary Reassignment form and attaches the form to the Voluntary Reassignment ticket. If the Voluntary reassignment ticket does not already exist, the institution absence management unit sends an email with the attached Absence Management Voluntary reassignment form to its Service Center Affinity group to create the ticket
- The Service Center Affinity Group process all leave balance transfers as needed
- The Service Center Affinity Group closes the Voluntary Reassignemnt ticket and notifies the institution
- End of process
Related Policies, Job Aids and Forms
- UPS Operational Policy TR3 - Voluntary Reassignment of Formerly Classified FLSA-Exempt Employees to Academic Staff/Limited Appointment Positions
Related Job Aids
- HR - Position Change - Voluntary Reassignment (UPS - Movement from University Staff to Academic Staff/Limited)
- HR - Compensation Tab Overview
- HR - Comp Rate Frequency Overview
- UPS (Movement from US to AS) Workshop PowerPoint (7/9/2015)
- Document 51148 is unavailable at this time.
- PY - Maintain Employee General Deductions