KB User's Guide - SitePref Tab - Customize the Page Not Found Message
Admins and Users who have permissions to access the Site Preference tab may create/edit a Custom Page Not Found page for your KB site. This document will walk you through this process.
What is a 404 Error/ Page Not Found Message?
A 404 Error / Page Not Found message is an HTTP standard response displayed when a server cannot locate the web page requested. It happens when the your KB site encounters:
- A mistyped URL
- copy-and-paste URL mistake
- Broken links or truncated links on other web pages
- Broken links or truncated links in an email message
- Moved or deleted KB pages
Design a 404/Page Not Found for your KB Site
Display a customized 404 Error page to include:
- a more natural description with language that is friendly and inviting
- your KB site's branding
- link leading to helpful information
- Navigate to the Site Preference Tab > Custom PageNotFound link
- You will be led to the Custom PageNotFound page. You will be presented with two text boxes in which you can create/modify two distinct sets of instructions for the Internal and the External KB Site.
How to Avoid a Search Yielding a 404/ Page Not Found Error
Admins can run the KB Broken Link Checkercheck out this article!