Reporting of Suggestions and Concerns Regarding HRPP Performance and Function
This document describes how suggestions and concerns about the UW-Madison Human Research Protection Program can be brought to the attention of the relevant UW-Madison officials.
- Suggestions and concerns related to the function and performance of the HRPP, including the IRBs, should be resolved using the following mechanisms.
- The suggestion or concern should first be addressed to the staff or director of the relevant office or program.
- If individuals are unsure which office to contact, they can contact the Office of Research Compliance (ORC).
- If the suggestion or concern cannot be resolved through discussions with the staff or director of the relevant office or the individual thinks that bringing the issue to them would be inappropriate due to the nature of the suggestion or concern, the individual may contact the relevant Deputy Institutional Official (DIO) who directly oversees the office’s or program’s function.
- If the suggestion or concern cannot be resolved through discussions with the above persons or the individual thinks that bringing the issue to them would be inappropriate due to the nature of the suggestion or concern, the individual may contact ORP or Institutional Official (IO).
- If a suggestion or concern relates to an urgent or a sensitive issue, the individual may directly contact the relevant DIO or UW-Madison Associate Vice Chancellor for Research Policy who is Institutional Official for human subjects research (IO).
- Contact information for DIOs and IO along with many offices and programs is located on the ORC website.
- In response to a suggestion or concern related to the function and performance of the HRPP, the individual receiving the suggestion or concern may:
- forward the suggestion or concern to the Quality and Compliance Operations Committee
- collect additional information to evaluate the report or concern
- notify and consult with all responsible parties regarding the suggestion or concern
- make recommendations to all responsible parties for resolution of the suggestion or concern
- notify the individual reporting the suggestion or concern of the results of any evaluation and any action taken.
- If a suggestion or concern is addressed to an individual with leadership responsibilities, that individual should consult with members of the HRPP directly involved in the matter.
- Individuals who feel that a personnel action has been taken against them because they reported apparent violations of human research protection requirements should consult the UW-Madison Whistleblower Policy.
- Generally, the individual who is the subject of the suggestion or concern should have access to the identity of the persons who made the allegations and provided information.
- However, if individuals wish to maintain their anonymity, every effort will be made to protect their identities. At the same time the individual who is the subject of the suggestion or concern will be afforded the opportunity to respond.
- Anonymity cannot be guaranteed.
Adopted By: Cross-Campus HRPP Committee
Adoption Date: August 28, 2015
Copyright © 2015 University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents