SolidWorks 2016 for Windows
This article explains how to download and install SolidWorks 2016.
Downloading and Installing Solidworks 2016 Version
CAE offers Solidworks to the College of Engineering at University of Wisconsin Madison through the Campus SOftware Library. In order to install and run locally installed remote software, software, you must have a CAE account as well as a NetID.
If you have any difficulties, please contact the CAE Helpdesk. You can call the helpdesk at (608) 262-5349, stop by the Helpdesk in room 216 or email at email@example.com. The CAE Helpdesk does not respond to help requests through comments on this website. For more information on when consultants are available at the helpdesk, please visit https://www.cae.wisc.edu/helpdesk/.
You *MUST* be connected to the CoE VPN or Licensing VPN in order to run Solidworks.
1. Navigate to software.wisc.edu with an internet browser.
2. Click on "Campus Software Library" under "Login". Use your NetID and password to log in.
3. Click on "Software for Engineering Students" and you should be prompted to this page:
4. Type in your Wisc email address and click on "SolidWorks Standard for Engineering Students". Run the .exe file and select a folder to unzip the contents to.
5. Once the files are unzipped, the SolidWorks installer should begin automatically. If it doesn't, you can run the setup file in the folder you used in the previous step.
6. Choose the Installation type. Please select Individual (on this computer).
7. After that step, it should ask you to enter your serial number. You can find this serial number in your CAE filespace. Navigate to https://myfiles.cae.wisc.edu/ with an internet browser (more information about accessing your files can be found here: https://kb.wisc.edu/cae/page.php?id=22097 ). Enter your CAE credentials to log in. On the left hand side of the page, click on Software > Windows > SolidWorks 2015-2016. You should find the Serial Number located in file Install Notes.txt and use this to proceed to the next step in the installation process. You do not have any other Serial Numbers, so there is no need to check any other boxes on this page. NOTE: You do not need to fill in the last 2 boxes! The installer will automatically populate the remaining boxes after the warning prompt in the next step.
8. You will be asked if you want to download the newer version of SolidWorks. We only support the current version (2016 SP3.0 X64 Edition). You may continue with the Newest version, but we will not be able to guarantee help. For this reason, we suggest you select the current version.
9. Most users will not need to modify the components to be installed. You must agree to the Terms and Conditions, then select Download and Install.
10. A prompt will appear. Please specify the license location as "firstname.lastname@example.org" without the quotations.
11. You will be asked whether this is the correct licensing. Select "Yes". The installation should now proceed and complete. The necessary files will be downloaded from Solidworks first, so this may take a while, depending on your internet speed.
12. Once all files are downloaded, you may get a dialog box that asks if you want to pause the installation or install SolidWorks. Click Install.
Note: Whenever you access SolidWorks, the Engineering Licensing (or CoE) VPN must be running.
If you have any difficulties, please contact the CAE Helpdesk. You can call the helpdesk at (608) 262-5349, stop by the Helpdesk in 116 CAE or email at email@example.com. The CAE Helpdesk does not respond to help requests through comments on this website. For more information on when consultants are available at the helpdesk, please visit https://www.cae.wisc.edu/helpdesk/.