Help Desk - Student Help Desk Agent Position Description
Student Help Desk Agent
Division of Information Technology (DoIT)
University of Wisconsin - Madison
This is an entry-level student position providing computing support to University of Wisconsin students, faculty and staff. We are made up of a diverse group of students who have a passion for helping people and learning new skills. The position is responsible for troubleshooting, problem solving, and incident documentation for the wide-variety of DoIT supported products and services.
These products and services include networking, client/server systems, mainframe systems, PC and Macintosh desktops, software, Learn@UW, WiscMail, peripheral devices, and others. The Madison campus is the primary support area but other UW system and related institutions are also supported by the Help Desk Team.
Because of our extended hours, we offer a flexible work schedule in a fun and welcoming environment. Students must be able to work a minimum of 10 hours a week though there are opportunities to work additional hours. We pride ourselves on having opportunities for training, development, and promotion.
This position reports to Help Desk Student Team Leads and the Student Operations Coordinator.
85% With assistance, resolve problems reported to DoIT Help Desk.
- Provide first-level contact and problem resolution for all users with hardware, software and application problems for both Mac and Windows. Resolve as many user-reported problems as expertise permits using available tools, and following procedures and policies for the handling of support cases. Escalate advanced problems to technicians.
- Courteously obtain and convey concise problem information for external and internal service personnel.
- Act as a liaison between customers and internal support staff to assure accurate problem interpretation.
- Demonstrate consistently superior customer service skills.
- Provide accurate and timely logging of problems and resolution for problems in the problem management software following case recording and documentation standards.
- Develop troubleshooting skills by using effective investigative methods and using Help Desk troubleshooting tools.
15% Agent Training and other assignments
- Complete required Help Desk training that will enhance and improve computing support delivered to customers.
- Utilize down time to improve skills, complete special projects, and develop and maintain knowledge of Help Desk supported products and services.
- Mentor new employees.
- Customer Service Skills:
- Ability to communicate effectively over phone, chat, email or in person. English is required; other secondary languages welcome.
- Maturity to contend with challenging situations and users.
- Experience in a customer service position is highly desirable.
- Technical Skills:
- Desire and aptitude to learn information technology support functions and processes.
- Knowledge of basic computer processes and tools.
- Analytic skills and troubleshooting.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment where you must be flexible and learn quickly.