AM - Entering Banked Leave Conversion Through ESS - University Staff Employee Self Service
This procedure outlines steps for converting vacation to banked leave (formally called Sabbatical) as an employee.
General Description:Employees using Employee Self Services (ESS) are able to enter their banked leave conversion election through Employee Self Service similar to entering leave time taken. This banked leave conversion will be auto approved. Process Considerations: University Staff who meet the eligibility to bank leave according to policy, are able to convert vacation carryover or current year vacation. The program will use vacation carryover first then move to current year vacation automatically. These hours will be placed in the Banked Leave Account (formally known as Sabbatical balance). They do not expire and can be used at any time with approval. Only convert WHOLE hours. The policy link is provided at the end of the KB document.
To perform this procedure, please follow these steps:Before using this guide, an employee should know the following:
- Campus login ID and password for My UW System Portal
1. Log in to the My UW System portal at https://my.wisconsin.edu/ Note: UW-Madison employees can optionally log in to the My UW-Madison portal instead. For more information on logging into the My UW System portal, please see UWSC Support - Logging in to My.Wisconsin.edu System Portal .
2. Locate the Time and Absence module and click the Leave Reports tab to get your Eligibility report and review your options.
3. Once you are ready to elect conversion, you will click the Enter Absence link. This is the Request Absence page. Choose Convert Vac to Banked Lv . This will not be available to choose until you enter a date between 12/1 and 12/31. *** Caution -- do not choose the Banked Leave. That is the usage of banked leave.
Note: If you are employed at more than one job you will need to select the job you wish to convert your vacation from a list before you will be taken to the Request Absence page. Banked leave conversion can be applied to one or more positions as long as there are vacation hours available to convert.
- Start Date (required): The date you want the conversion to occur, you can enter the date by typing it in the format MM/DD/YYYY or by clicking the calendar icon and selecting the correct day. Choose a date between 12/1 and 12/31. Be sure you have vacation to convert otherwise you will get an error message. This date is critical for cash pay because based on the day you select, the cash pay will happen on the next check processed after the entry is completed.
- End Date: This must be the same date as the start date. You will receive an error message if the dates are not the same.
- Filter by Type: Leave it set to All.
- Absence Name (required): Select Convert Vac to Banked Lv -- Do not choose BANKED LEAVE which is first in the list. This is for usage of the banked leave not conversion.
5. Click Submit. You will receive this message following the submission if there are no errors. If you receive an error message that you believe is incorrect see your payroll coordinator as the conversion is auto approved.
6. Click OK. You will now see the Request Details page which lists the details of the request and its status. Conversion is auto approved.
Note: Because the conversion is auto approved, your payroll coordinator is not directly involved. If there is an error with the conversion to Banked Leave contact your payroll coordinator. They will need to make the necessary changes because it cannot be pushed back.
Annual Leave Conversion Options form sample found in the portal under Leave Reports: For Employee Self Service, you do not need to complete this form. It is generated so you know your options. You can print it for your own records.
For reference, when you request to look at the absence history, notice the hours box is 0 hours. This is normal functionality. Click into the take Absence Name for additional details.
The Request Details screen will verify the number of hours entered into convert and payout. The reason the hours will not display on the Absence Request History screen is because there are two values available here and only 1 value on the that screen.
Related Policies, Jobaids and Forms:Related Policies:
- To view more information on vacation banking visit UPS Operational Policy: BN 1-https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/download/policies/ops/bn1.pdf.
- MSN employees: To view more information on vacation banking visit: https://kb.wisc.edu/ohr/policies/page.php?id=53409