ECMS - User Account Control on Windows 8, 7, or Vista
This document explains User Account Control on Windows 8, 7, or Vista and it's affect on Perceptive Content Client.
ImageNow: User Account Control on Windows 8, 7, or Vista
Article: 000160735 -- Last Published Date: Thu Oct 15 2015
The User Account Control (UAC) feature in Windows 8, Windows 7, and Windows Vista may cause repeated security prompts in the following scenarios:
- When using per seat licenses, ImageNow Client creates or updates the intkinfo.dat file. UAC is triggered because the intkinfo.dat file is written to the All Users directory.
- Installing ImageNow Client.
- Installing the ImageNow Printer.
- Installing or re-installing Kofax VRS.
- Logging into Windows as a local administrator to launch the DataCapture Verification Station verification.
Additionally, installing ImageNow Client with UAC enabled can have the following impacts (links are to Lexmark Knowledge Base documents -- access requires a free Perceptive Customer account):
- ImageNow Printer not installing on Windows 7 or Vista
- ImageNow System Tray icon functionality is limited
- ImageNow Client API not installed on Windows 7 or Windows Vista
Disabling User Account Control (UAC) is a security choice to be made based upon an organization's security needs. However, users may continue to receive repeated UAC prompts within ImageNow Client if UAC is left enabled, hampering the user experience.
- To disable UAC on Windows 8, follow these instructions.
- To disable UAC on Windows 7, follow these instructions.
- To disable UAC on Windows Vista, see these instructions.
Note: Support for Windows 7, 64-bit, was introduced in ImageNow 6.6.