BN - University Staff ICI Annual Sick Leave Swap Report (2015)
This KB describes how to read the ICI Annual Sick Leave Swap Report and provides links to Absence Management KB's for facilitating sick leave swap for University Staff employees.
Income Continuation Insurance (ICI) premiums for University Staff employees are based on the amount of sick leave hours that you have accumulated at the end of the last full pay period of the year and your annual salary. The more sick leave hours you retain, the lower your premium. Sick leave balances and your annual salary are evaluated at the end of every calendar year and premiums are adjusted effective February 1st of the following year. University Staff Temporary employees will always be in Premium Category 1 since they do not earn sick leave.
University Staff employees who are close to moving to a Permanent Plateau or Category 3 may choose to swap sick leave used during the year for other qualified paid leave to achieve the premium plateau. For more information on the ICI plan, premium plateaus, and potential enrollment opportunities, please visit the OHRWD Benefits website page. Fro more information regarding the Annual ICI Process, please visit the UWSC ICI Annual Update website page.
A report will be provided to the Institutions in December of each year providing a list of all University Staff employees, their sick leave balances, projected sick leave balances for the year, and current ICI category (if applicable) so that they may counsel their employees regarding the swap of Sick Leave and/or any enrollment opportunities.
- University Staff ICI Annual Sick Leave Swap Report (Excel)
- Exchange of sick leave for other qualified leave
- Employee potentially achieves a Permanent Plateau for ICI premiums or a deferred enrollment opportunity
- Sick Leave Swaps must be completed by Institutions by January 12, 2016 for the December B 2015 payroll
- Hours exchanged must be for dates between December 28, 2014 through December 26, 2015 excluding legal holidays
- Sick Leave Earnings used to compute earned Sick Leave hours is not included on the report.
- The report provides a projected sick leave Year to Date balance as of the December B payroll and cannot take into consideration usage of Sick Leave since the report was run, nor can it account for FTE not worked after the November A payroll has confirmed. Institutions should counsel employees accordingly.
- The report will NOT combine Sick Leave Balances across multiple Employee Records. Institutions with employees who work across multiple departments or multiple campuses will need to coordinate efforts to ensure the data is combined and the employee is appropriately counseled on their options.
The report will be provided in an Excel spreadsheet format for ease of sorting and filtering. The report will contain the following fields:
FIELD NAME DESCRIPTION Business Unit Institution Business Unit Code Dept ID Department ID number Name First Name, Last Name of employee Empl ID Unique Employee ID number Empl Rcd Each Employee Record with a Sick Leave Balance will be provided FTE Full Time Equivalent for that Employee Record SL BAL as of 11A Actual Sick Leave Balance as of the 11A confirm for this Employee Record SL YTD Bal as of 11A Actual Sick Leave Balance as of the 11A confirm for this Employee Record SL BAL Projected to 12B Projected Sick Leave Balance is based on 11A plus projected Sick Leave earned at the current FTE for 11B - 12B (and assuming no additional usage) SL YTD Bal Projected to 12B Projected Sick Leave Balance is based on 2015 YTD including 13A 2014, 2015 through projected 12B (based on FTE and assuming no additional usage) Current ICI Category Current ICI Category will be shown. A blank field indicates the employee is not currently enrolled
A sample report is shown below:
Sorting and Filtering Results:Institutions are encouraged to filter the results to identify groups of employees who may benefit from counseling regarding ability to move to a different ICI Category based on a Sick Leave swap. (Please note: an employee can only swap Sick Leave for other qualified paid time off if they have used Sick Leave earned during one or more pay periods paid in 2015.) Recommended filters include:
- Employees in Category 5 who have a current YTD Sick Leave Balance close to 1040 hours. (May be able to move to Category 6)
- Employees in Category 4 who have a current YTD Sick Leave Balance close to 728 hours. (May be able to move to Category 5)
- Employees in Category 2 who have a current YTD Sick Leave Balance close to 520 hours. (May be able to move to Category 4)
- Employees in Category 1 who have a current YTD Sick Leave Balance close to 184 hours. (May be able to move to Category 2)
- Employees currently in Category 3, filter to ensure the employee has earned and maintained 80 hours in the current year.
Institutions should also filter the results of the Report to identify
employees who are not currently covered by the Income Continuation
Insurance Plan (Category column is blank) who may potentially reach a Plateau for the first time
by swapping Sick Leave. These individuals should be counseled on their
potential deferred enrollment opportunities (The notification of
enrollment opportunities will be provided in mid-January).
(Institutions are responsible for verifying that the employee has never
been enrolled in ICI previously for Categories 3, 4, and 5.) Below are
- Employees with a blank in the Category column who have a projected YTD Sick Leave Balance at or near 1040 hours (Category 6)
- Employees with a blank in the Category column who have a projected YTD Sick Leave Balance at or near 728 hours (Category 5)
- Employees with a blank in the Category column who have a projected YTD Sick Leave Balance at or near 520 hours (Category 4)
should also filter the results of the Report to identify employees who
are not currently covered by the Income Continuation Insurance Plan who
earn and keep 80 hours in a calendar year and are qualifying for
Category 3 for the first time. (Institutions are responsible
for verifying that the employee has never been enrolled in ICI
previously.) Below are suggested filters for Category 3:
with a blank in the Category column, who have an FTE of 1 and a
projected YTD Sick Leave Balance at or close to 80 hours (Category 3)
- Employees with a blank in the Category column, who have an FTE of less than 1 and a projected YTD Sick Leave Balance you will need to apply one of the following formulas:
80 X number of hours of Sick Leave earned annually divided by 130
80 X percentage of full-time appointment
Each column on the spreadsheet has been set up with filters for your convenience. If you want to use more advanced filters you can click on the filter icon at the top of any column to retrieve a drop down menu of options. You can do simple filtering by just clicking or unclicking values in the list located below the search field or you can create more customized filters by using the numbers filter to narrow the search criteria. This will allow you to filter your lists by ranges of hours (value of "between"). See illustration below:
Click here for additional examples of setting up filters: ICI_Excel_Filter_Examples.docx
To swap the time in the HRS system, please follow the instructions found in the following KB document: AM - Managing Absences for a Prior Pay Period (Payroll Coordinator) . If you need further assistance with this process, please contact your AG Group.
Related Policies, Job Aids and Forms:
Related Job Aids