OverviewThe legal name of a person is used in adding a person to HRS. Sometimes an employee has a preferred first name. The procedure shown below can be used to add the preferred first name for an employee after they have been added to HRS through Add a Person.
Tax forms and official correspondence will not show a preferred first name that is provided.
- Employees can submit their own preferred first names through the Name option in Employee Self Service. You are encouraged to direct employees to KB #98508 for the steps in doing so.
- Preferred first names do not display in HRS, meaning that they won't be visible to employees or administrators. However, if a preferred first name is entered, it will exist in data tables and may be used by IT teams when creating contact directories or organizational charts outside of HRS for business units.
You may click on the links below to navigate directly to a section:
- Navigate to Workforce Administration > Personal Information > Biographical > Modify a Person.
- Enter Empl ID or name in the search criteria, and click the Search button.
- In the Name section of the Biographical Details tab, click the plus (+) button in the upper right to add a new row.
- Enter the effective date for this preferred name change in the "Effective Date" field.
- Click the Edit Name button.
- In the Name dialog box that appears, enter the employee's preferred first name in the "Preferred First Name" field.
- Click Refresh Name. Notice that the display name does not include the preferred first name just entered. Preferred first names do not display in HRS.
- Click OK to close the Name dialog box.
- Click Save in the lower left to save your changes.