Canvas - Importing D2L Materials to Canvas (Instructor)
This document describes how an instructor can import course content from Desire2Learn (D2L) into a Canvas course.
UW-Madison discontinued D2L on June 1, 2018. The instructions below assume that you successfully exported your course content from D2L to a .zip file prior to June 1.
Import your D2L Course Components into Canvas
- Login to your Canvas course.
- Click on Settings on the left-hand navigation bar.
- Click on Import Content into this Course on the right hand side of the screen:
- Next to Content Type click the drop-down menu and select D2L Export .zip format.
- Click Choose File. Navigate to the .zip file backup you created in D2L.
- Select either All Content or Select Specific Content depending on what you want to import.
- It is likely you will want to check Adjust Events and Due Dates since it is probable you are importing course materials from a previous semester and the dates won't match up. Often it is easiest to select Remote dates but you can also select Shift dates.
- Click Import:
- Canvas will import your course content. Depending on the amount of content this can take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or more. Once the file has been uploaded Canvas will display a progress bar showing you that it is running and importing content:
- Once Canvas has completed importing your D2L content it will show as completed and indicate if there were any issues:
- You can click on the issues to see a summary of the issues:
Make note of the issues to address in your Canvas course. Clicking on the highlighted issues will take you to that page in your Canvas course for you to edit. There may be non-highlighted issues as well that may not have an analog in your Canvas course.