Study Pattern - Learning Analytics
OVERVIEW: Study Pattern (or "Pattern") is a simple way for students to measure their study habits, providing analytics and insights to help them become better learners. This document describes key features of Study Pattern and links to video tutorials and PDF quick reference documents.
- Study Pattern is an interactive study log or "quantified-self tool" (sort of
like a FitBit for studying). It allows students to track their study and
learning behavior/activities, and subsequently rate their productivity.
Acquired data then provides reports on most effective combinations for
individual student success.
- From Study Pattern's dashboards, students can view personalized visualizations
of their own data across all of their courses. Students can also see
how their habits compare with peers in the same courses.
- Instructors ONLY see aggregate data for all students in the course.
Students may also choose to create a PDF version of their data; this
allows them to opt-in and share their individual data as they need.
- Study Pattern is a mobile application that creates and curates data. It is available as a web interface and on both IOS and Android devices. It is a standalone application (not integrated with D2L or Moodle.)
- Study Pattern is one of the tools in the University of Wisconsin-System's
Learning Analytics Tool Chest and is being piloted by several
- Study Pattern was developed by Purdue University. For more information about how students at Purdue use Pattern, check out this article: Purdue-developed Pattern app enables students to track their study habits and rate productivity
Pattern is available to a small group of instructors and students, as part of a pilot program for 2016-2017. The instructions below are for students in courses that are currently in the pilot program; if you are a student, your instructor will tell you if this tool is available or required for you to use in a course.
If you are not in the official pilot--whether you are an instructor or a student--and are interested in using Study Pattern, please contact Kari Jordahl at email@example.com.
- Go to wisc.studypattern.org
- Choose your institution
- Use your UW login and password to create an account and login.
- For iOS devices (Apple iPhones, iPads)
- Go to the App Store and search study pattern; then download the free app.
- Important note! Be sure to search for University of Wisconsin once you have logged into Pattern, to ensure the app is accessing your institution.
- Here are the instructions to locate and download the Pattern app for your iOS devices: Access Pattern for iOS QuickReference.
- For Android devices (phones or tablets made by Samsung, Sony, LG, Motorola, etc.)
- Go to Google Play > Apps and search study pattern; then download the free app.
- Important note! Be sure to search for University of
Wisconsin once you have logged into Pattern, to ensure the app is
accessing your institution.
- Here are the instructions to locate and download the Pattern app for your Android devices: Access Pattern for Android Quick Reference.
- To make sure you have the latest version, if you have already downloaded the app, go to the Google Play store, search for study pattern, and then click on an Update button for that app. If you see an Open button, that means you already have the latest version.
These very brief (1-2 minute) video tutorials are available on a YouTube playlist or choose a specific video or text version of each topic, below.
Quick Reference PDF
Introduction to Pattern (1:00 min)
1-Intro to Pattern Quick Reference
Learner Dashboards (1:20 min)
2-Learner Dashboards Quick Reference
Pattern Recommendations (0:56 min)
3-Pattern Recommendations Quick Reference
Sharing History (1:08 min)
4-Sharing History Quick Reference
Instructor Dashboards (1:20 min)
5-Instructor Dashboards Quick Reference
If you are interested in using Pattern, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.