Top Hat - Account Setup (Instructors)
You can use your UW-Madison credentials to log on to Top Hat.
- From a web browser, go to www.tophat.com.
- Click the Sign-up link in the upper right side of the screen.
- Click Professor.
- Select University of Wisconsin - Madison and click the Next button.
- You will be redirected to the UW-Madison identity management system where you will enter your UW-Madison NetID login credentials.
- After entering your information you will be redirected back to the Top Hat login page where you will have two options to select from to continue.
If you have not already created a Top Hat account:
- Click Continue creating a new professor account.Note: This option is for users who do NOT yet have a Top Hat account and are registering with Top Hat for the first time.
- Complete the registration steps to finalize your account; you will automatically be taken through the Top Hat account creation steps.
- Enter your first and last name. Your email and username are automatically populated and you will not be able to edit those fields.
- The password you enter here is ONLY for logging on to the Top Hat mobile app. Using the mobile app is optional, but a password must be created in order to complete this registration process.
- Be sure to select "I agree with the terms and conditions."
If you have previously created a Top Hat account:
- Click Update with an existing account.Note: This option is for users who ALREADY have a Top Hat account and need to associate their account to their UW-Madison NetID account.
- Enter your existing Top Hat user credentials in the Username and Password fields that appear, then click the Login button. This will automatically associate your Top Hat account with your UW-Madison NetID credentials.
Adding Other Instructors/TAs to a Top Hat Course
Top Hat supports the ability to have co-instructors and TAs. For more information, see Top Hat - Adding Multiple Instructors to a Course .
If you have questions or are having technical difficulty with Top Hat, please contact them at their Support Center or by phone at (888) 663-5491.