approved March 9, 2015
March 2, 2015
Present: Broman, Edwards, Fair (chair), Meyerand, Petty, Wendt
Guests: Representatives from ASEC, CSEC, ASM, and UW administration.
1. Meeting called to order: 12:30 PM.
2. Draft ad hoc committee charges circulated:
a. Minimum instructor qualifications. Some discussion. Consensus approval.b. Hostile and intimidating behavior. Some discussion. Consensus approval.
3. Minutes of the meeting of February 23, 2015, approved.
4. Felber (PROFS) provided a legislative update.
5. Discussion with Regent Regina Millner and campus governance representatives. Millner described the budgetary process, including touch points, timelines, and next steps. Among other items, Millner called attention to the Legislative Fiscal Bureau analysis as well as the forthcoming errata and April revenue report. Millner stressed that there was no quid pro quo in the budget proposal and that the UW cuts are part of a broader statewide context. Ample discussion and several questions. Millner concluded by reading a statement that reiterated her strong support of the university, tenure, and shared governance; stressed her conviction that UW challenges must be addressed in the context of all state agencies; recognized the strong 150+-year history of state support; hoped that actual revenue reports and ongoing negotiation efforts will result in a reduction in cuts; and affirmed her belief that a public authority model, while still requiring more articulation, is a positive step forward.
6. Provost update (Sarah Mangelsdorf)
a. Mangelsdorf updated the UC on upcoming fundraising and revenue-enhancing efforts.
b. Mangelsdorf and the UC discussed at length the appointment of department chairs, differences in departmental policies across schools and colleges on course buyouts and searches, internal versus external messaging related to the budget and public authority, and how the timing of registration relates to the budget process.
7. Chancellor update (Rebecca Blank)
a. Blank followed up with the UC on the discussion with Regent Millner.
b. Blank updated the UC on the student budget forum.
c. Blank informed the UC of her upcoming schedule with donors and UW Foundation.
d. In response to a question, Blank updated the UC on the status of the SMPH/UW Health reorganization.
e. Ample discussion of budget, public authority, and messaging.
8. Meeting adjourned at 2:59 PM.