Kaltura - CaptureSpace Lite - Screen, Webcam, and Audio Recording
CaptureSpace Lite is a screen, webcam, and microphone recording tool available for use by UW-Madison instructors, staff, and students. Recorded media can be uploaded to Kaltura MediaSpace. This document provides a link to Kaltura's CaptureSpace Lite user guide and has videos to help get started using the tool.
CaptureSpace Lite is comparable to a less powerful version of other screen capture software like TechSmith's Camtasia. For documentation and more "how to" instructions on CaptureSpace Lite, please see Kaltura's CaptureSpace Lite - User Guide.
Minimum System Requirements
The minimum system specifications to use CaptureSpace Lite are:
- 2.5 GHz dual-core i3 4th generation (2013) processor or newer;
- 8 GB RAM;
- 4 GB free hard drive space;
- WindowsTM 7,8, 8.1, 10 32/64 bit with .NET Framework 4.6+ and Visual Studio runtime tools
- Mac OSX 10.9 and up
Installing CaptureSpace Lite
If you'd like to use CaptureSpace Lite you can watch this video or follow these directions to install it:
- Login to Kaltura MediaSpace: mediaspace.wisc.edu
- Click the Add New button and select CaptureSpace Lite:
- A new window will open prompting you to download the appropriate version for your machine. Click the Download for Windows or Download for Mac button.
- Your browser will download the appropriate installer. Locate the installer and double-click it to install CaptureSpace Lite.
- Return to KalturaMediaSpace and select Add New and select CaptureSpace Lite.
- The Launch Application window will appear to verify that you want to open CaptureSpace Lite. The Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder tool should be highlighted. Click OK.
- The Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder will launch:
CaptureSpace Lite cannot record system audio - for example the audio
played from an application you are demoing or a the audio from a video or music clip you
are playing. It can only record audio from your microphone. Thus it can
record audio being played from your speakers but the sound quality will
be significantly reduced compared to directly recording system audio. If you need to record system audio we recommend you consider purchasing a license for a more powerful screen capture tool.
- Keep your recordings reasonably short (5-10 minutes):
- Shorter recordings reduce the cognitive load on the viewer;
- Lapses in the viewer's attention become more frequent with longer videos;
- Updating material is much easier if it is more modular (updating a 5 minute video is a lot easier than a 60 minute video);
- Longer recordings tend to encounter more frequent technical issues.
If you need to make longer recordings we recommend you consider using a more powerful screen capture tool.
- In the Settings tab check to see what you are using for the Camera Recording Quality and Screen Recording Quality. Using smaller sizes (480p for the camera and 720p for the screen) will result in smaller file sizes and quicker uploads.
- Make sure you have enough free disk space on your computer before you start your recording.
- A 1 minute recording at 480p for the camera and 720p for the screen is approximately 13.5 MB.
- A 1 minute recording at 720p for the camera and 1080p for the screen is approximately 17 MB.
- If you have a computer that is 3 or more years old or is close the the minimum system requirements above and are encountering audio-video synchronization issues you may want to try the Slow PC Setting in the Settings tab of the Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder:
You can also watch the following videos for a basic overview of CaptureSpace Lite's functionality:
For documentation and more "how to" instructions on CaptureSpace Lite, please see Kaltura's CaptureSpace Lite - User Guide.