University Committee Meeting Minutes
approved May 12, 2014
May 5, 2014
Present: Bernard-Donals, Farrar Edwards, Fair, Meyerand, Petty and UC Members-elect: Broman, Wendt
The meeting was called to order at 1:00 p.m.
1. Minutes of the meetings of April 26, 28, 29, 2014 (Document 130488) were approved as distributed.
2. Updates and Announcements
i. ASM has endorsed the Diversity Framework
ii. Recommendation 7a. in the UC’s VRC/DGS document is missing four words. The correct wording of the recommendation should be: “GEFEC and GS CASI shall continue to operate as governance structures for the Dean of the Graduate and the VCRGE respectively.”
3. Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration—cancelled
4. Final preparations for today’s Senate meeting were discussed. Some time was spent discussing options under Robert’s Rules of Order and FPP to deal with various amendments to the UC’s recommendations that might be made.
5. Provost DeLuca reported the following that institutional data governance issues (e.g., utilization approval, storage methodologies) are moving to the fore. The Information Technology Committee and other faculty will be involved in the discussions. Relatedly, there is a need to bring the Transfer Information System (TIS) course equivalencies to currency.
Michael reported that a goal is to bring “Bullying” legislation to the Senate in October. Faculty Legislation will be developed over the summer, possibly jointly done with ASEC. The Provost offered to help with that work.
6. Chancellor Blank reported that the Legislature approved the UW-Madison HR redesign which allows implementation on most aspects of the HR Design strategic plan effective July 1, 2015.
7. Work on establishing the Ad Hoc Committee on Boycotts and Academic Freedom was completed including establishing a due date for their report and integrating the Chancellor’s feedback about the charge. Bill to send a draft of the appointment letter to Michael and once approved, send it out the proposed committee members.
8. Motion to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss personnel matters was approved.
9. Motion to reconvene in open session was approved.
The meeting adjourned at 3:05 p.m.
William A. Heiss, M.S.S.W.
Interim Secretary of the Faculty