Instructions for Completing CITI Refresher Training
All personnel conducting human participants research that is approved by a campus IRB must have current human subjects training. Following initial completion, personnel must complete a refresher course every three years.
Personnel will be notified via email when their training is expiring and refresher training is required. Expiration dates can be verified by using the Research Certification Lookup.To complete your human participants refresher training complete the following steps:
- Log in to your CITI account via the UW CITI Portal using your NetID and password.
- Make sure to access the course referenced in the email reminder. The course will not be labeled refresher, but after clicking on the link to the appropriate course, the course page should display that it is the refresher course.
- There are two common issues that can prevent you from accessing the refresher course. If you run into the first problem, there is a good chance you will experience both.
- Course refrenced in the email is not present under the University of Wisconsin - Madison Courses section.
- If the course referenced in the email is missing, click on the "Add a Course or Update Learner Groups" link. Then under question 2, click the box for the appropriate course.
- If your training has been expired for a period of time, you may not be eligible to take the refresher course and should instead re-take the basic course.
- If your training is not expired and you only see the basic course after clicking on the appropriate course's link, send an email to email@example.com.
If you experience any difficulty, please contact the Office of Research Policy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 608-890-4399. Support is provided Monday - Friday during normal business hours.