University Committee Meeting Minutes
approved January 22, 2014
January 13, 2014
Present: Bernard-Donals, Cook, Fair, Farrar Edwards, Meyerand, Petty
The meeting began at 1:04 p.m.
1. The minutes of the January 6, 2014 meeting (document 130437) were approved as distributed.
2. Martin Cadwallader, Graduate School Dean presented the philosophy that guides bridge funding and the allocation process used to distribute available funds. This funding mechanism was developed in response to challenges associated with sequestration. There may be another round of bridge funding next year. Martin hope is that funds will be a mix of Grad School and WARF funds.
3. Provost Update-Discussion touched on several topics: 1) There is a need for the Chancellor and Provost to educate newer Board of Regents members about the meaning of faculty governance; 2) The role of the Vice Chancellor for Research relative to the Provost and the Dean of the Graduate School in terms of overlapping functions, reporting relationships, and whether the VCR and Dean of the Grad School could or should be a combined position or separate positions; 3) UC and other faculty members need to be identified to serve on the search committees for VP of Teaching and Learning, Faculty and Staff Programs, Enrollment Management and Diversity. The first three searches to begin now, the third, later in the semester.
4. Proposed changes to FPP 5.30.B---Dorothy prepared draft language for discussion which was amended by Mark. The following revision to FPP 5.30.B was approved:
If the dean does not wish to appoint the faculty member who received at least a plurality for chair, the dean ---after consulting the department, the provost, and the University Committee, and with approval of the provost after he/she considers the recommendations of the University Committee -- may appoint a chair from among the tenured members of the department, or may appoint a tenured member of the faculty who is not a member of the department. In exceptional cases, following consultation with the department, the Provost, and the University Committee, and with approval of the provost after he/she considers the recommendations of the University Committee, the dean may appoint an assistant professor.
Michael will send this language to Paul. It could be an item for the March Senate meeting.
5. Report from the Committee on Climate Change was discussed. A UC motion to “endorse the report and accept its recommendations” will be forwarded to the Senate at its February meeting. 6. (3:32) Convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss personnel matters.
The meeting reconvened in open session and adjourned at 4:33 p.m.